Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta in a Barrel

Posted by betty1822 z6Ontario (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 11 at 16:37

If I planted a hosta in a half barrel do you think it would survive the winter in zone 6?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta in a Barrel

I have a hosta in a half barrel that is in the corner where the porch meets the house. It sits on the cement sidewalk. I have had a hosta in it for the last few years and it has done so well that I had to dig it out and split it last year. It also has a lady's mantle in there but I need to dig that out as it gets smothered by the hosta.
Hostas are very tough! I accidently left one in a bag (dug it up to bring home to plant and it got shuffled around and forgotten). I found it laying out by the tree this spring and it was growing in the bag--barely any soil--just what was on the roots when it got dug up.

o

It can but if in doubt, cover the insides of the barrel in styrofoam and top with mulch when the weather gets cold.

o

If you decide to go ahead with this, do NOT use anything but your choice of potting mix to fill the barrel. Anything you put on the bottom 'to improve drainage' will in fact hinder drainage by raising the perched water table in the planter and reducing the amount of space available to allow for a proper gas exchange/air for the roots, which will lead to small plants at best and root rot at worst. Your winter foe is not frost, it's freezing/thaw cycles and layering the top with a generous amount of mulch in the fall will help a great deal.

Pieter.....who grows almost all of his Hostas in pots

o

Great info! Tomorrow I'm going to put two new hostas in large pots!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here