Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danneh

What are your must-have plants for 2008?

danneh
15 years ago

Just curious what everyone's "must-have" plants are for this year. Mine are are:

Hosta Paradigm

Geranium Rozanne

Sedum Frosty Morn

Daylily Joylene Nichol

Deb

Comments (13)

• jaro_in_montreal
    15 years ago

Hoping to get these any day now....

Abies Koreana 'Ice Breaker'
    Abies Pinsapo 'Marokko'
    Sciadopitys Verticillata 'Gold Star'

Some of the "must-haves" I already got this spring:

Larix lyallii
    Acer palmatum dissectum 'Bladsmith'
    Larix kaempferi 'Wolterdingen'
    Fothergilla gardenii
    Picea pungens 'Gotelli Prostrate'
    Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret'
    Picea abies 'Inversa'

Jaro

• ianna
    15 years ago

Since I'm creating a prairie garden, I have been gathering the following:

Ornamental grasses:
    Miscanthus Huron Sunrise
    Korean feather reed grass
    Karl Foerster

Flowers
    veronicastrum
    meadowsweet
    astrantia
    knautia
    joe pye weed
    angelica giganta

• halaeva
    15 years ago

Mine is Echinacea purpurea 'Double decker'
    Hala.

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

I'm slowing down buying plants for this year, for how long I don't know. The three plants I want most right now are:
    'Carol Mackie' Daphne
    'Starship Enterprise' Iris
    'Rozanne' Geranium

• Mystery_Gardener
    15 years ago

Hi:

Jaro: Interesting selection, I would love to see your yard. I assume it must be on the larger side to hold all those trees ;-)

I am hoping to replace my Lillium Citronelle which were eaten by rats (along with many other specialty lilies). The bulbs were in temp storage after a garden bed remake and the varmits found there way in. Next time I will buy a steel shed ;-)

Otherwise, I am trying not to buy more plants as I have several in my plant ghetto that need a space. Time to dig up some more lawn and make another bed.

Cheers,
    MG

Here is a link that might be useful: Our website

• jaro_in_montreal
    15 years ago

"Jaro: Interesting selection, I would love to see your yard. I assume it must be on the larger side to hold all those trees ;-)color>"

Thanks MG.
    If you're familiar with these names, you'll know that most of the plants are dwarf or miniature cultivars of "trees", so that in fact they don't take up a lot of space -- at least not before about 30 years in the ground.... (by which time I will probably be in the ground).

Larix lyallii is a plain species tree, but supposedly very slow growing, so again not much concern about growing space (I am particularly happy about having received 4 of those -- they're VERY hard to get, it seems.... they disappeared from the nursery's web site catalogue shortly after I ordered them, early last fall...)

Good luck with your steel shed !

Jaro

• Mystery_Gardener
    15 years ago

Hi Jaro:

Dwarf / miniature can be tricky terms, especially here on the coast. Often a 'dwarf' specimen here will only be 15 - 20 feet high as opposed to 60 - 100 feet tall ;-)

I did Google a couple when I did not recognize the names, I will be checking out the local nursery for Abies Koreana 'Ice Breaker' and Abies Pinsapo 'Marokko', love those cones.

Cheers,
    MG

Here is a link that might be useful: Our website

• bonniepunch
    15 years ago

I only had one 'must have': variegated Petasites japonicus, and a GW member has very kindly found one for me. I would so love to have some Arisaemas, but I haven't figured out how to grow them in a pot yet - I've had a couple but they both declined after a couple of years - and I can't really afford to throw a lot of cash at them to figure it out :-(

There are a couple of plants that I'd been admiring for a some years and I managed to find them both yesterday: Veratrum nigrum and Imperial taro.

BP

• glen3a
    15 years ago

Tiger eyes Sumac and Endless Summer Hydrangea were my must haves. Usually, I have been putting all the nice plants in my backyard so I can sit and admire them, but the sumac went in the front yard. I had the perfect spot between a pyramid cedar and Jens Munk rose, and I'll be admiring it from the front window.

Both Tiger Eyes Sumac and Endless Summer Hydrangea are borderline hardy in zone 3, but with some winter mulch, good snowcover and a little luck, hopefully they'll survive.

Glen

• glen3a
    15 years ago

By the way, Hala, I have double decker echinacea. I adore it. It needs staking, however, as the double blooms weigh quite a bit and flop the stems over, but I just put a peony ring around it early in the season.

• halaeva
    15 years ago

Hi,Glen3a.
    I appreciate greatly your advice and I am going to put a peony ring as soon as I can.I wouldn't anticipate the problem myself.Thank you very much.
    Hala.

• clairabelle
    15 years ago

Hollah!
    Mine are Lonicera semp. "Major Wheeler" and Amsonia "Hubrechtii". I'm still on b/o for the first one from Horticlub, while the second has arrived and has been planted next to a Clematis on the back fence. Two newbies I can't wait to see!
    P.S. Also have floppy double-deckers; this year will take your advice and stake, Thanks

• ianna
    15 years ago

I have the double decker and mixed it with hydrangea annabelle plus a helianthemum. So in this case, I don't need to stake the plant.

From my want list, I have purchased my joe pye weed - now I want a filipendula (meadow rue) and lots of it. I also just received my fall catalog from Botanus - lots to think about.