Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are your must-have plants for 2008?

Posted by danneh 5a (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 08 at 16:41

Just curious what everyone's "must-have" plants are for this year. Mine are are:

Hosta Paradigm
Geranium Rozanne
Sedum Frosty Morn
Daylily Joylene Nichol

Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are your must-have plants for 2008?

Hoping to get these any day now....

Abies Koreana 'Ice Breaker'
Abies Pinsapo 'Marokko'
Sciadopitys Verticillata 'Gold Star'

Some of the "must-haves" I already got this spring:

Larix lyallii
Acer palmatum dissectum 'Bladsmith'
Larix kaempferi 'Wolterdingen'
Fothergilla gardenii
Picea pungens 'Gotelli Prostrate'
Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret'
Picea abies 'Inversa'

Jaro

o

Since I'm creating a prairie garden, I have been gathering the following:

Ornamental grasses:
Miscanthus Huron Sunrise
Korean feather reed grass
Karl Foerster

Flowers
veronicastrum
meadowsweet
astrantia
knautia
joe pye weed
angelica giganta

o

Mine is Echinacea purpurea 'Double decker'
Hala.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Thu, May 22, 08 at 15:31

I'm slowing down buying plants for this year, for how long I don't know. The three plants I want most right now are:
'Carol Mackie' Daphne
'Starship Enterprise' Iris
'Rozanne' Geranium

o

Hi:

Jaro: Interesting selection, I would love to see your yard. I assume it must be on the larger side to hold all those trees ;-)

I am hoping to replace my Lillium Citronelle which were eaten by rats (along with many other specialty lilies). The bulbs were in temp storage after a garden bed remake and the varmits found there way in. Next time I will buy a steel shed ;-)

Otherwise, I am trying not to buy more plants as I have several in my plant ghetto that need a space. Time to dig up some more lawn and make another bed.

Cheers,
MG

Here is a link that might be useful: Our website

o

"Jaro: Interesting selection, I would love to see your yard. I assume it must be on the larger side to hold all those trees ;-)"

Thanks MG.
If you're familiar with these names, you'll know that most of the plants are dwarf or miniature cultivars of "trees", so that in fact they don't take up a lot of space -- at least not before about 30 years in the ground.... (by which time I will probably be in the ground).

Larix lyallii is a plain species tree, but supposedly very slow growing, so again not much concern about growing space (I am particularly happy about having received 4 of those -- they're VERY hard to get, it seems.... they disappeared from the nursery's web site catalogue shortly after I ordered them, early last fall...)

Good luck with your steel shed !

Jaro

o

Hi Jaro:

Dwarf / miniature can be tricky terms, especially here on the coast. Often a 'dwarf' specimen here will only be 15 - 20 feet high as opposed to 60 - 100 feet tall ;-)

I did Google a couple when I did not recognize the names, I will be checking out the local nursery for Abies Koreana 'Ice Breaker' and Abies Pinsapo 'Marokko', love those cones.

Cheers,
MG

Here is a link that might be useful: Our website

o

I only had one 'must have': variegated Petasites japonicus, and a GW member has very kindly found one for me. I would so love to have some Arisaemas, but I haven't figured out how to grow them in a pot yet - I've had a couple but they both declined after a couple of years - and I can't really afford to throw a lot of cash at them to figure it out :-(

There are a couple of plants that I'd been admiring for a some years and I managed to find them both yesterday: Veratrum nigrum and Imperial taro.

BP

o

Tiger eyes Sumac and Endless Summer Hydrangea were my must haves. Usually, I have been putting all the nice plants in my backyard so I can sit and admire them, but the sumac went in the front yard. I had the perfect spot between a pyramid cedar and Jens Munk rose, and I'll be admiring it from the front window.

Both Tiger Eyes Sumac and Endless Summer Hydrangea are borderline hardy in zone 3, but with some winter mulch, good snowcover and a little luck, hopefully they'll survive.

Glen

o
RE: What are your must-have plant for 2008?

By the way, Hala, I have double decker echinacea. I adore it. It needs staking, however, as the double blooms weigh quite a bit and flop the stems over, but I just put a peony ring around it early in the season.

o

Hi,Glen3a.
I appreciate greatly your advice and I am going to put a peony ring as soon as I can.I wouldn't anticipate the problem myself.Thank you very much.
Hala.

o

Hollah!
Mine are Lonicera semp. "Major Wheeler" and Amsonia "Hubrechtii". I'm still on b/o for the first one from Horticlub, while the second has arrived and has been planted next to a Clematis on the back fence. Two newbies I can't wait to see!
P.S. Also have floppy double-deckers; this year will take your advice and stake, Thanks

o

I have the double decker and mixed it with hydrangea annabelle plus a helianthemum. So in this case, I don't need to stake the plant.

From my want list, I have purchased my joe pye weed - now I want a filipendula (meadow rue) and lots of it. I also just received my fall catalog from Botanus - lots to think about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here