Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ianna_gw

Bargain hunting 2007

ianna
16 years ago

Hi all,

I think there was an earlier attempt to do a bargain hunt thread this year but I lost it. So members of the forum, please submit your bargain finds. To start off:

Loblaws--- on sale right now.. David Austin English roses 2 for $25 dollars. Curly witch hazel - $29 (consider it used to cost $69 some years ago). Boxwood - 2 for $17.,

Interesting seaweed compost. You could smell the aroma as soon as you get into the garden centre. I wonder if anyone has had a chance to use it.

Home Depot - emerald cedars -- $19.

Anything else in your neck of the woods? Online sales, etc....

Ianna

Comments (29)

• diane_v_44
    16 years ago

Ianna

Where is the seaweed compost Is it at Loblaws or not
    Love to get some
    Will check out the David Austin Roses

• triple_b
    16 years ago

Do you think Superstore will have the same stuff, seeing how they are affiliated and all?

• bonniepunch
    16 years ago

Might not triple_b - in my area Loblaws, Provigo and Inter-Marché are all owned by the same company and they all have different specials every week.

BP

• sammyqc
    16 years ago

Veseys Bulbs - 25$ off your order of 50$ or more. I know it's kinda early to be thinking of planting bulbs, but I always like their selection, and I can see all the spots where I could swear I had planted tulips - darn squirrels!

• triple_b
    16 years ago

I was at superstore tonite (hubby lets me pick out my own mother's day flowers :-) ) and they had Endless Summer Hydrangeas for $24.99. About the cheapest I have seen them. If there are any left on Friday when I get paid I am going to pick one up.

• sunita_fleuriste
    16 years ago

Vesseys Bulbs

Isn t the special only for spring planting bulbs?

I was thinking of ordering some but they ll probably come by the end of May...is it too late to plant then??

S

• ianna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Has anyone spotted echinaceas anywhere? I'm looking for magnus or the like. None of the Loblaws, dominion, etc. have the plants which is curious since this is a popular plant.

Ianna

• HomeMaker
    16 years ago

I have lots of echinaceas in my garden - want some? Are you close enough? It's just the regular, generic purple coneflower - nothing fancy.
    Sheridan nurseries usually carry it as well.

• HomeMaker
    16 years ago

I just noticed that you are looking for magnus - duh!

I looked up magnus and mine looks just like it, but blooms a somewhat shorter time - could be a zone thing?

• ianna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks homemaker. However, I'm planning to visit Sheridan's this weekend and also will be going to the St. Jacob's Market place. I'd been hoping to find the magnus one specifically. I'm trying a new cottage style garden for my front yard and need a deep purple echinacea to contrast the blue delphiniums I just purchased. and the yellow rudbeckias If I can't find it this weekend, I can always start it off with seeds.

• sammyqc
    16 years ago

Vesey's fall catalogue, you order now, they will ship them in the fall. There are some gorgeous Tulips in there, and that's not a bad deal, with $25.00 off. In some ways it is a good time to order, because right now you can see what came up, and what got stolen. My front bed, I swear two years ago, I planted at least 50 tulips and daffs. Looking out the window, I can count on one hand how many came up this year! And I let them die off naturally, I don't treat them like annuals so I know the little squirrel were pretty busy. I swear they sit up in the trees and watch me plant just so they know exactly where to dig! And they aren't supposed to like daffs either!

• sydseeds
    16 years ago

Here's the link to Vesey's 50% off sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vesey's 50% off sale

• dogsitter
    16 years ago

hi everyone i thought i would mention some of the canadian online nurseries and if you compare all the prices you will find sometimes quite substantial price differences on things. so if you shop around you can find good bargains. theres veseys and botanus and spring gardens and brecks canada.

• ianna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I normally gauge prices by looking at the 'staples' of gardening plants. --- like herbs which can go as high as $3.75 at established garden centres but interesting go as low as $1.25 at flea markets or corner convenience stores. However some garden centres do price their larger items lower than places that sell seasonally like grocery stores or hardware stores... So be aware of price differences based on locations and plant sizes.

I got a nice although small sized pacific giant delphinium for $1.99 and I would say that's a good bargain. I was able to get a good sized service berry at Sheridans for $14.98 -- not bad, considering if it was just a couple of years older, it would cost around $99. I noted their cheapest japanese maples are priced at $99 for a good sized plant --which is not bad considering other garden centres priced them at $199 and above. Of course if you are patient, you can get really small sized seedling trees at $7 - $16 at flea markets. I had been searching for my magnus echinacea and found it eventually at Loblaws for $5.99 - a bit more than I expected to spend but it turns out there were at least 4 separate plants in that one container.

What else is in my radar? -- looking for very deep purple heuchera - right now priced at a ridiculous $12.99 at a garden centre. Purple smoke bush - current prices $34.99 but I think I can get cuttings from nearby neighbors and so perhaps I can get new plants for free. A pagoda dogwood - priced $199 - $220 = yikes. I can get cuttings but it will really be a long while before it gets to any good size.

• ianna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just in case anyone in Ontario is interested. Annual Herb Fair this coming weekend. http://www.herbalists.on.ca/annualherbfair.html

• Cybersunday
    16 years ago

Beware of the Vessye's trap. I ordered three plant @15.90 each and please take off the $25.00 coupon you have mailed me. Thatr was January. Shipment arrived third week of May, they are charging me fully for three plants, no deduction for the $25.00 coupon. So I immediately e-mailed them and guess what the reply was. "We are out of your third item (cannas) and because your order now is less than $50.00, we cannot give you the discount. No offer for a substitute, no apologies. I would have not ordered the puny plants if it was not for the discount, it made it a very expensive purchase when you add the S& handling. Never ever again would I order from them.

• triple_b
    16 years ago

I found Veseys seeds to be all well and good but their plants and bulbs leave something to be desired. Their 'mixes' (fuschia frenzy tulip mix) was not that great of a mix. Too many ordinary colored ones and only a couple of the real nifty ones. Plus living on the OPPOSITE side of the continent stuff takes a while to get here as they send it by regular parcel post. 10 days in transit is a long time for live plants. If you want anything quicker you have to pay extra for it. I can find what I want in-Province at Botanus or even locally sometimes.

• peatpod
    16 years ago

Hello everyone .. glad to see everyone shopping :o) I dont have room for much more so I tend to stay away from most garden centers :o)

For those of you in Southern Ontario .. there is a wonderful little place called Northland Nursery .. all one gallon pots of shrubs, grasses, perennials are 4.99. Its off of Hwy 6 North of Waterdown. Great place with a good selection .. I have posted their website .. they dont do mail order but its worth the drive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Northland Nursery

• jroot
    16 years ago

anything new? I need some semi-shade light/white coloured flowers or foliage perennials for a small garden, but being on the CPP now, am always looking for a bargain. Zone 5 near Guelph/Toronto/Hamilton. So...bumping it up.

When do Terra's good sales start?

• ianna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Loblaws had been selling echinacea = white swan perennials and I had gotten 5 for $9 which I thought is a good bargain. I haven't returned for some weeks now but I'll start checking soon.

Also have you tried going to St. Jacob's on a Saturday. Many vendors there sell plants far below the prices in Toronto. I found hostas for $5 (Frances Williams) and also Jacob's ladder for the same price.

• raptorfan
    16 years ago

I was planning a trip to St Jacobs but now that there's $5 hosta we're definitely going! My husband is a hosta nut & the bigger the better! Haven't any long weekend plans so...

As for deals this year doesn't seem as many as in the past? Maybe just me..the only thing I've found was a discount table at Terra where we picked up some plants from between .99 to $6.

• ianna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Raptor.

There's a couple of vendors there that sell these hostas for about that price. Although it was written down as $5.50 they gave it to me for $5. The plants were good sized too and heavy. Since I had a child in tow and already carrying heavy items, I was only able to get away with a few plants. I would suggest you bring along a child's wagon to carry these treats (and others that come up). I found so many interesting plants but just couldn't purchase all that I wanted. I regret not buying more.

• ianna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Raptor,

I went to Walmart over the weekend. Noticed some hostas for sale - although there were several marked at $7+, I found some marked at $5.97 (one being a Frances Williams). Not that many choices though. I was interested in getting blue hostas to fill up a backyard.

• raptorfan
    16 years ago

Ianna,

Thanks for the info, sounds really good! Told my husband and he's all ready to go this weekend! :)

• HomeMaker
    16 years ago

The Dominion store at Bayview and Eglinton in Toronto has all the 4 inch perennial pot on sale for 99 cents.

Good buys for rockeries and for those with small budgets and lots of patience!

• raptorfan
    16 years ago

Loblaws/Fortinos garden centres had Safers products buy 1 get 1 free. (at least at the Brampton Bovaird location they did)

• ianna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's bargain hunt time. Loblaws has hedging shrubs (boxwood, yews, spruce, etc) for $4.99 each. 25% off some perennials, also got a nice sized rhododendron for $11. Note to everyone interested in bargain hunting. Their garden centres will start closing in 3 weeks. Now is the time to restock on plants.

ianna

• daynatews
    16 years ago

Just wanted to let people know there are free online classified ads for all of Canada called Kijiji .. In the gardening section I found people selling buckets of perennials for 2 to 5 dollars.. I filled my garden .... Happy Gardening

• corydalisenvy
    16 years ago

Just read in the Wellington Advertiser that this coming weekend ( long weekend - Sept 1,2,3 ) is Wild Things Annual Monster Plant Sale. From the ad 1000's of plants with sale prices escalating from 20-40% off as the weekend progresses, with some at 50% off!. Hwy 6 north to 89. Go west on 89 until you see Baseline Road - hang a right and you can't miss it! Open 10am but get there as early as possible to get the best selections.
    Having made past purchases that are alive and thriving this sounds like a great weekend for all gardeners. Check out their website at www. wild-things.ca for more details