Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbplantobsessed

Anyone from Guelph?

jbplantobsessed
15 years ago

I am looking for fellow gardeners in Guelph.

I live on a street where no one gardens (think vast monocultures of turf grass) and would love to meet some people of like mind (as I am obsessed with gardening and orchids in general).

Maybe there is a gardening club nearby?

Any info would be much appreciated :)

Janine

Comments (5)

• myfairychloe
    15 years ago

I'm in Guelph!!! I'm in the southend (Westm. Woods)...lots of grass here but I'm determined to get rid of it. I've been here for almost 4? yrs. I'm working on expanding my front yard garden and as well experimenting with a veggie garden. What about you?

• ontnative
    15 years ago

I live in the south end of Guelph (east of the YMCA) and have been gardening in this city for quite a while, first on a gravelly soil and now on clay. I have developed a big interest in growing native plants, although still have a number of non-natives as well. I can recommend joining and/or attending meetings of the Guelph Horticultural Society (see link below.) For meeting people that like to grow native plants, check out the Waterloo-Wellington Wildflower Society. The "wildflower" people are having a plant sale at Guelph Market this Saturday, May 24, 7-11 AM, if you'd like to meet some very enthusiastic members with a great cause.

Here is a link that might be useful: Guelph Horticultural Society

• madtripper
    15 years ago

I'm from Guelph - Rolling Hills. Used to live on Rickson.
    Guelph Hort Society is a good place to start.

I am working on a large garden - Probably have an acre planted so far.

I'll be on two garden tours in Guelph this summer. The Guelph hort society has one in mid July, and the University Art Center has one mid June.

If you want to visit my place - send me an email. I am home and gardening most weekends and Friday and Monday.

My best advice - read, read and read some more. Guelph has several libraries and each has quite a few gardening books.

Robert

• liz_at_guelph
    15 years ago

I've been a lurker in the forum for a while. I'm over in the west end, near Gateway school. Just started digging up the boulevard. It sure seemed smaller before I started this project. Thinking mostly iris, grasses and spring bulbs. Oh yeah and a lot of mulch. Another gardening group is the Burlington-Hamilton rose society. Each month they have a featured speaker, last month it was Trail's End Irises.

Liz

• jbplantobsessed
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for getting back to me guys :)

I will certainly take anyone up on an offer for a private tour of your gardens! I will be going to both the Guelph and K-W garden tours this year (hopefully they won't be on the same day like usual) It can be amazing how different everyone's approach to making their own slice of paradise can be.

I will check out the local clubs mentioned...my hubby is completely non-interested in my gardening babble and none of my friends have the passion...I have to find some like minded people to obsess about plants with ;)

I have virtually no grass on my lot...I have a mix of perennials/shrubs and trees. My home is 10 years old but we spaded in trees 6 years ago (which look to be about 15-20 years old) so it looks a little less barren. We put in a 1500 g pond with a waterfall a few years ago.

At this point I am just trying to keep up...I thought it would be easier and less maintenance to eliminate the grass...haha, thank goodness I love gardening.

This weekend looks to be a good one...I hope everyone enjoys the nice warm weather :)

Sponsored