Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerconz5

need to rescue bleeding heart

gerconz5
15 years ago

Brand new to forums so hope I AM DOING THIS RIGHT. my lawn has grown up completely around my bleeding heart, so much for staying ahead of edging flower bed last year!!! Bleeding heart just came out will it survive if I dig it up get rid of grass and move it? Need advice bad.

Comments (4)

• ianna
    15 years ago

gercon, I'd say leave the bleeding heart for this season. Bleeding hearts will be flowering soon and so why do this now. Instead, to tackle the grass, form black out covers over the grass encrouchment. This could be rather tricky but here's how. Take strips of black plastic - like garbage bags and cover the area surrounding the bleeding heart. Leave only the bleeding heart exposed. This is a form of solarizing and of killing weeds, in this case grass. make sure you pin the plastic down with heavy objects. The black will block off sunlight, but the sunlight will heat up the plastic, ground and all. This sterilizes the ground as well as kill of the grass. About 3 weeks or more later, the grass is effectively killed. Remove the plastic. YOu may be tempted to do the same using mulch, which does block off sunlight. But it may also harbour insects, or fungus at this early season which you may wish to avoid.

ianna

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

"Will it survive if I dig it up get rid of grass and move it?"

Yes. It's a tough plant, but I have to agree with Ianna in that you might as well leave it to flower for this season at this point.

But I can't agree with using plastic to solve the problem. My approach would be to dig up after flowering, divide if you want to, remove the grass and all roots pertaining to the grass, and then replant.

If you use the plastic, the grass will be encouraged to move and grow within the BH if it hasn't done so already.

Remember that this plant can go dormant in the summer after flowering, so if it dies back, don't be too worried. When I first transplanted mine it did this but returned the next year with great vigour. Since then it has kept it's foliage all season long.

• gerconz5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the help. Yes the grass is already completely into plant but I think I'll be patient. I'm one of these gardeners that wavers between chomping at the bit and being over eager to getting too involved in other aspects of my life and getting behind on the gardening chores. Started out way too big several years ago and though have some beautiful plants I also have some equally healthy if not so beautiful weeds. The result garden looks good as long as you don't get too close. Thanks again. LOVE THIS FORUM

• ianna
    15 years ago

HI, The approach I had suggested was simply a temporary measure to limit continued grass encroachment, until such time dormancy occurs. Otherwise, it's a long wait till mid summer when teh plant goes completely dormant and so I thought why not enjoy a nice looking bed for the meantime.

Ianna

Sponsored