Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enjoy_gw

Perennial Hibiscus is yours up yet?

enjoy
15 years ago

Here in Waterloo I have a perenniel Hibiscus (copper king? I think) that has not shown up yet. Last year I thought it was dead and pulled out the old shoots to find green underneath but I can't remember when it finally shot up from the ground.This was a bad winter. Do you think it is dead?

Has anyone else in zone 5 seen theirs yet?

Comments (25)

• wyndyacre
    15 years ago

Don't worry, Enjoy. Your hibiscus is not likely dead. They take a very long time to come up in the spring....well into June quite often in our area.
    I'm near London Ont. and have hibiscus plants that are 10-12 years old. They always come up eventually. You just have to have patience. :)

• enjoy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, that is a relief! I really like the one I have. My Rose of Sharron "Aphrodite" is not showing signs of life yet either do you have one of those? Is yours waking up yet?

• bonniepunch
    15 years ago

My Rose of Sharon never leafs out until early June. I scratch the bark once in a while to reassure myself it's still alive - I always get a green bit underneath, a good sign.

BP

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

Oh Thank goodness! I was beginning to think that mine was dead too!

• enjoy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great! That is a relief!

• abrodie
    15 years ago

uh oh. You just reminded me that I put one in last year at summer's end. Spent a couple of weekends looking at the dead stick, forgot I'd put that in and dug it up when divided my phlox and was looking for space. What a maroon. I need to write things down more.

Brodie

• enjoy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ooops abrodie! Wait it out a bit because when I ripped mine out I really took EVERYTHING within view above ground and weeks later these strange greens started to pop out of the ground. As mentioned before, I would have thought them weeds if my neighbor's wasn't doing the exact same thing at the exact same time. I still have not a single sign of life in it but I remain hopeful.

• jroot
    15 years ago

... early to mid June, here in zone 5, Ontario, Canada. No sign of them yet, but I expect them soon.

• donna_jj
    15 years ago

My hib. syriacus (rose of sharon) has started to leaf out. The hib. moscheutos (copper king and friends) have tiny green buds at the base of the plant under the mulch, which have just started to form. Another month and they will be branching. Just be patient and wait, they will regrow.

• wmc1
    15 years ago

Some ROS are nearly all leafed out and some are a little slower here in Sarnia, the perennial hibiscus are starting to send up shoots now, always late but make up for it when they start.

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

My rose of sharon has been leafing out also profusely for the past 2 weeks. The other hardy hibiscus ( dark red stems and leaf ) that I was told to cut to the ground, hasn't done anything yet though :-(

• wyndyacre
    15 years ago

Rose of Sharon shrubs are leafing out here and perennial hibiscus are up 1/2 to 1 inch.

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

Rose of sharon Diana and Hibiscus

{{gwi:528944}}

• enjoy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I finally got a slight glimmer of hope. They popped up last weekend and this week they are about 4 inches tall. The ROS is stubborn though. Barely showing signs of life but green to the scratch so I wait...patiently.......not in my nature!

• judyann31_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I bought a Perennial Hibiscus last year planted it and it was beautifull all summer. Now, early this year I trimend dowm all the dry branches to the ground and now I'm scared it won't come back. I dont see any sign if new leaves. I live in brampton I dont know what zone it is?

• fattyCoo
    12 years ago

Hi I change my name from birdy to fattyCoo. When i signed up the web wouldn't take the name "birdy" so I change to "fattyCoo" But really guys, do you think my hibiscus gonna come back? I also have problem with rabbits eating out my garden especially my dappled willow. The rabbit ate it all down already. Is there any thing to keep them away?

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

My ROS in the garden have started leafing out. Last fall I sank some pots of Hibiscus and ROS in the ground for the winter because I didn't have time to plant them. Nearly all of them have made it thru the winter and are starting to leaf out. This is the first time I have had ROS overwinter for me, or maybe I just didn't wait long enough for it to come back. Marg

• dianasan
    12 years ago

I think I glimpsed the beginning of a couple of shoots. They are always slow in coming. We have had a lousy spring in Montreal, but the hibiscus came up at the same time last year even though we had a great month of April in 2010.

• fattyCoo
    12 years ago

My hibiscus plant is peeking out the ground now, I am so happy. I have one fear, all the worms that are in the garden dirt, there r already cutting down my other plants. Any suggesting for getting rid of those worms?

• dianasan
    12 years ago

Do you mean cutworms? Unfortunately the only solution I know is to put collars around the base of the plants.

• fattyCoo
    12 years ago

The worms are short and fat and they nibble on the trunk of the plant ans cut it dowm. They seem to come up more at nights. Thursday night I went out with a flash light and I saw them. When they gets light they pretend to be asleep they stop eating.

• dianasan
    12 years ago

Sounds like cutworms. Check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cutworm Pics, Info and Control

• fattyCoo
    12 years ago

Hi guys I am crying for my plants. Yes it is indeed cut wors that are cutting my plants fron the root. It is so heartbreaking. And that rabbit is still lingering, it ate all my beautifull plants and they look so terrible. I feel like pulling them from the ground.

• otnorot
    10 years ago

In 2011 I collected 12 seeds from a perennial Hibiscus in a local park. In 2012 I started the seeds and all 12 grew.In the Fall I sunk the pots in the ground against the house,this spring 8 have started to grow,the other 4 didn't make it through the winter but I have 8 healthy seedlings about 4to6 inches tall.

• whiteowl1970
    10 years ago

Does anyone have a suggestion on when to plant a potted hibiscus in zone 5? thanks

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz