Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rain garden - need plant suggestions

Posted by ianna Z5b (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 08 at 18:31

I've just established an area near my brand new pond as a rain garden. The area is just too muddy and gets too soggy each time it rains. No sense fighting the situation and so I've converted it into a rain garden.

I need suggestions,for plants that like it's feet occasionally wet, clay (although heavily mixed in with compost), and full sun condition. I've already added siberian irises, astilbe and a daylily. I need more ideas. I need tall plants for the backdrop as well as other plants for foliage interest. Any advise would be appreciated.

Ianna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rain garden - need plant suggestions

Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret' perhaps ?

(hit the link below)

Here is a link that might be useful: Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret'

o

A magazine I just read had an article on rain gardens - here are ones they listed: iris, cardinal flower (lobelia cardinalis), switch grass (panicum virgatum), lily turf (liriope spp), cinnamon fern (osmunda cinnamomea). I don't have any input on any of them though.

o

How about Marsh Marigolds. They come in both single & double flowers.I have Wild Mint in a low area in my pasture but it may get invasive.

o

Have you considered putting in a shrub? I was thinking of 'Hakuro Nishiki', dappled willow. They like consistently moist soil-after all, it is a willow. Marg

o

Some of these plants I haven't even considered and so your suggestions have been very informative. Thanks

o

I suggest digitalis (foxglove) - easy to grow from seed, gorgeous, self-propagating, and tolerant of just about everything, judging by where they've grown in my garden.

o

Thanks, I do like the plant however because it is toxic and I have a young child and many more young children who play in my yard regularly, I would rather err on the side of safety. For this reason, I do not plant euphorbia, castor bean and monkshood.

o

Does it have to be a perennial? Cyperus papyrus can get several feet tall, loves wet feet, and is really neat looking.

BP

o

Hi BP, I'd like to do that one day. Tropicals require overwintering and I just don't have the space nor the time to take care of indoor plants. For now I'm concentrating on perennials only because I hardly have time to do any heavy duty gardening anymore :o(. Marginal pond plants are fascinating. I've not attempted to do anything like this before so things are rather new to me. It's a whole new look. Another problem that has cropped up in my backyard is a new bed I created in a shady part of the yard and it's starting to smell which tells me that I have a problem in that bed. Probably no oxygen and not enough organics. I'm going to have to redo the bed :o (

o

We have a rain garden in Indiana, clay soil. We planted Milkweed, Cardinal Flower, Liatris, Spiderwort, Purple Coneflowers, Carex, and New England Asters. I would post a picture if I knew how.

o

I can't post pictures myself. I'm a nitwit in that regard. But things for the suggestions. I like the idea of liatris and spiderwort and the asters. I have added my cardinalis in between some sweetflags but I need more to make the area lush.

o

If you're still looking for suggestions, our rain/woodland garden includes turtlehead, bottle gentian, wild ginger, hepatica, great blue lobelia, wood poppy, uvularia, carex grayii, marsh marigold, blue-eyed grass and some ferns.
Although they are all in sandy soil and partial shade, a few of these would do very well in full sun and heavy soil as well.
And if you are referring to lobelia cardinalis, that's a very good choice.

o

excellent. Thanks for the suggestions. The list fits well with my interest in wildflower gardening. Oh yes, my cardinalis is the lobelia cardinales. I've also put in a creeping jenny but I'm still a bit hesitant considering this plant can be a bit too aggressive or perhaps could even be considered invasive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here