Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenangelcat_gw

Sorry to keep bugging- Moving to New Brunswick

jenangelcat
13 years ago

I posted an earlier thread about moving to Nova Scotia but I'm not having much luck finding a house/acreage. So I've started looking at New Brunswick, specifically the area to the east of Moncton (within 30 mins).

We want to start a hobby farm so we need a decent growing season. According to the hardiness zone map, this area is zone 5b. We get about 100 frost free days in our zone 3 if we're lucky.

My husband's primary motivation for moving is to get away from the long, depressing winters we have here in Northwestern Ontario. It's pretty much overcast and -20 to -30 from October to April. I suffer a bit from SAD as I suspect dh does so the dark dreary weather really takes it's toll.

June 1st is our last frost date. Summers are often just as dreary and depressing. It's hit or miss whether or not we get to the beach even once during the summer.

I hear that it's cold and snowy in the Moncton area, but how cold and snowy, how often is it unbearably cold?

Nova Scotia is currently our primary location but I consider New Brunswick a strong second. Dh will discount it completely if the winters are just as bad as here.

What can you tell me about the weather/growing season? I've googled it to death but I want personal experiences.

Crossing my fingers for some good news. I found some awesome properties in the area.

Comments (17)

• ianna
    13 years ago

you can do research by checking www.weathernetwork.com - for the historical weather data on the area.

you can locate properties for sale via www.mls.ca and by the www.homesteadsforsale.com

hope that helps.

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Done all that, still doesn't tell me what I want to know.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

Moncton is a bit better than where I'm from originally - the Saint John area, where fog from the Bay of Fundy can mean very few sunny, warm days in summer! Moncton can certainly be cold and snowy but not quite as bad as NW Ontario. What kind of hobby farm are you thinking of? If you are looking for nicer climate and in NB, Sussex/Hampton area is nice and has good farmland. Saint Andrews area has nice climate but the land is less suited to farming. The Fredericton area has good farmland, cold winters but warm summers. Flooding can be an issue for land along the river. If I was moving back to NB, I'd aim for Saint Andrews if I was primarily interested in gardening but Hampton/Sussex if I wanted productive agricultural land.

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We're thinking chickens, goats, pigs and produce as well as cut flowers.

Dh just wants shorter winters and warmer weather!

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

It sounds like Hampton/Sussex might be the best area to try.

• DrHorticulture_
    13 years ago

You have my sympathy. My wife and I currently live in Saskatchewan and want to move to a warmer climate soon. The long, cold, DARK winters are extremely depressing.

Here are my thoughts on the growing season in NB compared to NW. Ont. First, spring and summer definitely get cooler and cloudier as you go from Frederiction to Moncton and eastwards. In general, spring is cooler and fall is warmer than in the Prairies and NW ON. As far as summer weather is concerned,you may find NS just as depressing, if not more, than NW ON. NB is a lot better in that aspect, but once again, the western part of the province is the best. The growing season length is only one way to measure it. Do you want a long, cool growing season (NS), a shorter but warmer growing season (Frederiction area) or something in between (Moncton)? Edmunston is a frost pocket but is also warm and dry in summer.

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So many decisions, so little time!

Probably the long cool growing season is best. In addition to hating cold winters, I can't stand really hot summers! I'm a middle of the road kinda gal I guess.

Nova Scotia sounds like it's going to be the right climate for us, just need to find the right house!

• maggiepie_gw
    13 years ago

I live about an hour by car, North of Moncton but am not quite sure what 'growing season' length entails.
    If the season is for veggies then it is probably 4 months, but I have perennials flowering at the moment, my hellebores started flowering as soon as the snow melted.
    It does get cold in winter, although this past winter was relatively mild and I don't think the temps got below -23C and even that was only for a few days. I think most years we have some days of up to -30C.
    One good thing is that normally we get lots of sunshine in winter which is great. I open the blinds and let the sun shine in and then spend hours moving trays of seedlings around to follow the sun.
    We also get good snow cover.

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The growing season is the length from first frost (spring) to the last frost (fall). This information is really hard to find for the smaller areas.

The houses we are looking at in New Brunswick are in Cap Pele and Beaubassin.

My dh hates it here because the snow doesn't go away until April (sometimes May) and then it's cold until July. We get two months of somewhat decent weather (some years) and then it goes downhill by the end of August. Freezing temps hit by mid September. So we get 8-10 months of depressing cold weather followed by a mediocre warmer season.

Still debating.

• Callie50
    13 years ago

Hi Jenangelcal... I've lived in southern NB all my life in the town of Sussex, it's half way between Moncton and Saint John. Moncton and Sussex are almost identical in zones and seasonal changes, however Moncton is in what we call the snow belt. Not that the temperatures are radically different, it's just that weather systems seem to move directly across the Moncton region and they get more snow than Sussex or Saint John. We start planting her in mid-May and can harvest root vegetable right into November. It can be very hot and sunny a good part of the Spring/Summer/Fall season, however we do have rainy years from time to time. 2010 was an ideal Summer and we got our first real snow today, Dec.27/10 !! Winters can be cold, but usually Jan/Feb are the worst. By the end of March it's starting to feel like spring and the snow is pretty much all gone by the April 15th, sometimes earlier. Personally, I'm an avid gardener and I Love it here. It's the best of all seasons!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Lazy Gardener

• russian-pest
    13 years ago

I might be a wee late with my advice ( maybe you already have moved)

But Annapolis Valley in Nova Scotia is a Heaven for grovers.

I am in a middle kinda woman myself that's why I do love it here.

However Good luck to you to find a place which will make you happy and warm. (it is +3C here right now, so here! :^))

• larke
    13 years ago

Just moved from the S. Shore of NS to Moncton and there is definitely a lot more snow here and temps are about 5 degrees (Fahr) colder. I doubt if the season is any shorter here than there.

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, saw this thread and thought I'd update.

We moved to Bridgetown in the Annapolis Valley. Got a bunch of livestock and are planning the garden!

Here's my blog.

http://littlehomesteadinthevalley.blogspot.com/

• fairesfamily_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I am SO glad I found this thread! We are in the same position, moving east. And this has confirmed a lot of the info I already knew and given me lots to think about....now to find the packing tape and some boxes...oh and a farm to buy. Thanks for the info!

• hark159_nbnet_nb_ca
    13 years ago

I just found your message and realize it was posted over a year ago?? Did you move? My DH and I moved to NB in 2008 from BC but I was born and raised in ON. Just wondered where you moved to. We are just outside St. Andrews, NB.

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We ended up moving to Nova Scotia.

Check us out on my blog, we've done a lot since moving here.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Nova Scotia blog!

• merrilee
    12 years ago

You're not too far from me. We're just over the mountain.