Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noplacelikehomeforsure

Need advice re. five-leaf akebia vine

Two or three years ago I planted four of these vines against my backyard fence, on square trellis work mounted on the fence.

They have grown well but have tended to grow upwards but not enough off to the sides, They have now reached the top of the fence with nowhere to go, and are twining through the lattice panel and climbing along the top of the fence.

I don't want them to be a nuisance to my neighbour at the back, although she has assured me that she is quite happy with them. Maybe she is just being nice! What do you think?

It was my intention for them to cover the trellis lower down and across, as well as upwards, but they seemed to have a mind of their own and took off so fast, mostly upwards, despite my careful tying up and encouragment! And of course the stems are now very strongly twined around the trellis.

Would you advise me to prune them back to about a third or quarter of their height and try again to encourage the new growth to twine sideways on the trellis. There are quite a lot of new tender shoots appearing from the base as well which I will try to train out to the sides when they are long enough.

I have started working on one of them, pruning the higher growth and trying to pull as much of it through to my side, so as not to have my neighbour dealing with dead branches, but thought I had better ask for advice before I go any further.

Sorry this is such a long-winded post!

I had this plant at our last house, just one. I loved the way it looked and it was not a problem at all. However it was in a much shadier location, and covered an eight foot wide area beautifully.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler