Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justine_london

Is wintergreen a good groundcover?

Justine_London
18 years ago

I'm trying to make my "ground" garden more maitenance free, and primarily work at my "potted" garden. I was thinking of wintergreen as an evergreen groundcover under this mostly shaded area already planted with trees; tri-coloured beech, linden, japanese red maple, shrubs; lilac, rose of sharon, and a few rose bushes. I need something with virtually no upkeep that stays green in the winter, there's absolutely no foot traffic on it so a bit of height would be OK. I like the look of periwinkle but everyone around me already has it!

Anyone use wintergreen? I'm open for suggestions too. Thanks and Great gardening to all, Justine

Comments (8)

• LauraBC
    18 years ago

I just planted some last winter as the rabbits were eating the winter heather I had planted and I got tired of replacing the heather. So far, its doing well in a full sun location, though it doesn't seem to be a very quick grower, but then its only been in the ground for 4 months! It will eventally be more shaded as the tree I planted starts to grow. I really like the looks of it, the leaves are quite colorful and mine only gets about 8 inches high

• Justine_London
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Laura,
    I happy to hear it's doing well in the sun, the area I want to use it in is part sun/part shade. I'm just hopeing it will hold up in our freezing winters!

• fowgre
    18 years ago

I've been checking out possibilities for a semi-shade area I've got. Recommendations I've received so far include Creeping Jenny (Golden Moneywort), Lamium, Goutweed, and Sweet Woodruff. Mind you, one or two of these are said to be rather invasive, so tread carefully.

• jannabeen
    18 years ago

I planted wintergreen 2 years ago in a spot that is full shade. The plants are healthy and produced berries, but they really haven't spread at all. I also suggest sweet woodruff (can be invasive) or periwinkle (vinca minor) if you really want a groundcover.

• papsgirl
    16 years ago

I have been reading up on wintergreen as I found some in my yard. Does it have an odor like wintergreen? I live in zone 5/6 and it seems very hardy where I found it between me and my neighbor. I would like to transplant it to the hillside behind my house . How well do you think it will do? Here are several pics, the wintergreen is among them.

Here is a link that might be useful: live journal

• zuni
    16 years ago

Don't plant creeping jenny! It crawled right through rock and gravel to the other side of our driveway. I have used sweet woodruff with success. It is manageable, and does well in shade.

• ianna
    16 years ago

In the most recent Canandian Gardening magazine, wintergreen is one of the plants cited.

Please don't get fooled into thinking there is such a thing as a low maintenance garden. You will always need to control any ground cover you set in.

other evergreen choices (some based on the same magazine)

Canby paxistima
    boxwood
    holly
    oregon grapeholly
    perriwinkle
    cotoneaster

Ianna

• Judy_B_ON
    16 years ago

You may find it difficult to grow wintergreen in London, Ontario. It is a northern species, naturally found in bogs with moist, acid soil. I think London has limestone based soil, not acid.

Evergreen croundcovers for dry, alkaline shade are hard to come by, periwinkle and ivy, much as I dislike them, are viable.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living