Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaro_in_montreal

Montreal Botanical Gardens today

jaro_in_montreal
17 years ago

I went to the "Rendez-vous horticole 2006" (annual plant sale) today at the Montreal Botanical Gardens, and took the opportunity to take some photos. Here are a few from the greenhouses (not part of the sale, of course!) :

Paphiopedilum:

{{gwi:530423}}

{{gwi:530424}}

Miltonia:

{{gwi:530425}}

{{gwi:530426}}

Comments (14)

• Cybersunday
    17 years ago

Gorgeous, I could not make it, had to work Friday and Saturday. I suppose there would not be much left today so I treated myself to a very nice fall order pf peonies at Adelman Peony nursery.

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

We went yesterday. It was absolutely fantastic weather! Cybersunday, you should go just to see the lilacs - they're all in bloom and smell wonderfull! If peonies were on your list, then you didn't miss much at the sale - I didn't see any of the local peony growers there (I might have missed them though...).

I don't think it was as big as last year - I seem to remember the tents stretching further back towards the roses.

DH bought me a Rodgersia (not marked, but probably a podophylla) and a black Colocasia esculente. Hopefully the Rodgersia will settle in and give me some nice flowers in a couple of years. And hopefully I manage to overwinter the Colocasia! This is my first try with either of them, and I hate learning 'the hard way' :-)

BP

• anna_lisa
    17 years ago

Hi anybody want to trade house plant pennials annuals there is a yahoo web site its called montrealplanttradegroups go to yahoo we are 54 member but would love to see more people join. The more we are the more plants going around i even traded a lilac tree. Anna

• Cybersunday
    17 years ago

bonniepunch, I usualy make my annual pilgrimage to the Botanical Gardens in August on the Civic holiday, I may go earlier this year. There is always enough to feast your eyes. How big is your colocasia, I have been growing one from the bulb and it is still very small. I started it about two months ago.

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

cybersunday - the Colocasia I bought is still pretty small. It's grown a couple of new leaves since I bought it, and they're bigger than the oned it had by an inch, so it's growing. I don't think it'll be a really impressive plant for a couple of years yet though :-) If you're lookin for a black one and you're near Ville St. Laurent, you might want to check out Jardin Jasmin, they sell them (if they have any left), but they're more expensive than what I paid - I suspect they're bigger though.

We tend to go to the gardens every weekend if the weather is nice. This year it's been pretty rainy, so we've only been twice. We take a picnic lunch and spend a good 4-5 hours wandering around. It changes so much from week to week that it's always new and interesting. But we live close to it, so it's easy for us to visit whenever we want :-)

BP

• Cybersunday
    17 years ago

I have three types of the colocasia, the upright, the regular and the black magic. I bought bulbs and was realy hoping that they will grow much faster. I wanted them in the pots in my pool area for a tropical ambiance, Quelle dissapointment, they are tiny so I guess there will be no impressive display this year. Live and learn.

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

cybersunday - Where did you buy yours? Mine came from a company by the name of Iris d'Eau.

Maybe you should check out the taros in chinatown? I'm going to take a look and see if they have any next winter - some people claim to have found Colocasia esculente/antiquorum 'Illustrus' (Imperial Taro) in such stores for a small fraction of the price you pay at nurseries.

I'll probably pick up a few regular ones just to start - they still have really neat leaves, even if they're 'plain old green' :-)

BP

• Cybersunday
    17 years ago

I bought the black magic at Costco and the other two at a local nursery, Ritchies. I just saw at Loblaws a decent size of Black Magic for 14.99. I will probably buy it. Yikes, the spending never ends, however, since I am not able to get any holiday time approved over the summer, I might as well indulge myself.

• janetr
    17 years ago

Jaro, great photos! But please, I don't need to add an orchid obsession to my gardening obsession.

I WILL blame you...

• jaro_in_montreal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Janet,
    If you prefer, I posted some other photos from the same visit on the GW Conifers forum - see link below.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Montreal Botanical Gardens conifers

• jaro_in_montreal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh -- and I forgot the *outdoor* pictures ! ....they're at the link below :

Here is a link that might be useful: Montreal Botanical Gardens outdoors

• janetr
    17 years ago

LOL! At least I don't have the room for a conifer obsession.

One of these days I'm going to go to the Montreal Botanical Gardens WITHOUT my family and WITH somebody who's interested...

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

Hey janetr - if you're ever in town and want a garden nut to go with, give me a shout. I can never get enough of the gardens :-)

BP

• janetr
    17 years ago

Bonnie, I might just take you up on that. Time to start planning my summer!