Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glaswegian_gw

Container gardening in Ottawa, ready for Kingston

glaswegian
11 years ago

I'll be moving again in July, 2nd move in the last 2yrs for work. Here are my plants in containers ready to be transported along with my belongings in the 53' moving truck provided by work

{{gwi:35003}}

{{gwi:228247}}

{{gwi:530494}}

{{gwi:35004}}

{{gwi:530495}}

{{gwi:530497}}

{{gwi:35001}}

{{gwi:34999}}

{{gwi:35000}}

{{gwi:34996}}

{{gwi:530500}}

{{gwi:34997}}

{{gwi:530501}}

{{gwi:530502}}

{{gwi:530503}}

Comments (13)

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    11 years ago

Just to clarify....these perennials were permanently in your garden ie in the soil and you have dug them up for the purposes of taking them with you to your new home?

If so I take it that such items ie these perennials were not part of the sales agreement ;)?

One reason that keeps me more tied to our current residence than would be the case otherwise is the amount of time and effort and of course plants that I would necessarily leave behind.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

head em up.. move em out.. RAWHIDE. .. lol ... rollin .. rollin ...

good luck

been there .. done that ...

thanks for todays chuckle.. and good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: what a hoot ...

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rogue21....all those containers were not along the driveway during the house showings. Some of those plants are tropicals that I had in the basement under lights

The ones you see in the ground there near the front porch will be staying, and the hostas along the side of the house not visible in the pics.

• dianasan
    11 years ago

Before we put our house for sale, we dug up all our perennials and brought them over to my parents' place. We had over 60 pots. There was no way I would have left my favorite plants behind.

Besides, the new owners managed to kill most of what we couldn't bring with us, including a beautiful weeping myrtle and a cherry tree.

• northerner_on
    11 years ago

What a lot of work to pot all those up. I wonder if rooted cuttings would be a better option. Smaller, at least. Good luck!!

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

notherner....you call that a lot of work? *sigh*

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    11 years ago

Welcome to Kingston, the banana belt of eastern Ontario.....seriously.

If you're within ~3 km of the lake, you can add the full slate of Japanese Maples, Flowering dogwoods, Redbuds, etc. to your backyard palette. The extra half growing zone is awesome.

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Smivies....where in Kingston are you? I am going to in the west, not far from the Cataraqui Center

Please let me know where I should be shopping for plants :-)

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    11 years ago

Downtown.....

Big box stores and low customer standards have really reduced the availability of quality plant material in Kingston.

Try Riley's, Burt's, Kingston Nurseries, Made in the Shade, Kiwi Gardens (Perth), Rideau Woodland Ramble (Kemptville), Connon Nurseries (Trenton), and believe or not, the Canadian Tire on Gardiners Road.

There is still a general lack of knowledge in this area of what will actually grow well (ie. Saucer Magnolias are still 'exotic' and Japanese Maples only come in red).

Good luck

• donna_in_sask
    11 years ago

Good luck with your move. How are the containers going to be prepped for moving?

My next door neighbour moved away two years ago and she asked me to take what I wanted from her garden. I did take a couple of plants but I wished I had taken more. The new neighbours are clueless and have managed to kill what was once a beautiful garden.

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Updates

Pictures taken today after the rain. I am going to water them thoroughly before the move

{{gwi:530504}}

{{gwi:530505}}

{{gwi:530506}}

{{gwi:530508}}

{{gwi:530510}}

{{gwi:530512}}

• AaronRWise
    11 years ago

Hey, I'm in ottawa - if you have anything you can't take, let me know. I have a fairly decent green thumb and am growing what I can in my yard.

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update 24/06/12

Two weeks before the move

{{gwi:530505}}

{{gwi:530513}}

{{gwi:530514}}

{{gwi:530515}}

{{gwi:530516}}

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build