Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seeingthelight

Desperately seeking tree for perennial bed, by pool

Seeingthelight
10 years ago

We recently extended a perennial bed (that runs between our pool and back fence) halfway down the side of our backyard, and I have been agonizing for weeks about which 'specimen' tree to plant that could add vertical interest and anchor the end of this new bed. Shade is not important.

The bed is around 5x8 feet, between a six foot wooden fence and is about five feet away from the deep end of our pool - so tight quarters to say the least. We want to be certain that whatever we put there has non-invasive roots, that it does not produce seeds or fruit that could plug the pool filter, and would prefer non-flowering (low maintenance, and avoiding "mess" on the pool deck that could be dragged into the pool by small feet!).

We currently have Vanderwolf pine, a Birch and a Bloodgood Japanese Maple in other areas of this bed, from a colour perspective. I have been leaning towards a dwarf Gingko or Katsura tree (for fall show and am intrigued by the Katsura's burnt sugar fall scent), but am worried about size (they either seem too small or too big).

Any thoughts or recommendations? I'm desperate!

Thanks.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA