Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
halaeva

Did everything come up for you this year 2008?

halaeva
15 years ago

Hi.Everyone.

I hope the year 2008 will be better for us Than 2007 when many of us suffered a great loss caused by cold.I thing my loss will limit to 4 plants.It would be my good luck.

What about you?

Regards.

Hala.

Comments (12)

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

Hi Hala. We had a lot of snow cover here and I was surprised that I had lost 3 plants, Penstemon Prairie Dusk, White Chelone and a bleeding heart. I just had to replace them so I bought Ligularia 'The Rocket', Heuchera 'Venus' and Dayliy 'Night Beacon'. So much for my vow to not buy to much this year! Glad you're back after your surgery. Hope everything went well. Marg

• halaeva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Marg for response.
    I am sorry you lost such nice plants.Last year You also had a big lost.Such a fate!
    Hala.

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

Thanks Hala. The area we live in is hard on plants. Everything is slow growing because of the strong winds we get. Marg

• ianna
    15 years ago

In my area, despite the 6ft snow pile on the garden bed, the plants have survived including my David Austen roses. They were flattened, a few branches have broken off but otherwise, just okay. The large amount of snow insulated the plants from the harshness of winter

• halaeva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you ianna for your reply.I am glad that you have not signifacant loss.My Knifophia'Red Hot Poker,Echinacea'Alba'and Heuchera'Coral Bells did not come up.They died.I want to replace them with something else and I'm still thinking what to buy.
    Hala.

• ianna
    15 years ago

Hala,

You seem to have suffered a lot of plant losses. Of all the plants you have described Echinacea & coral bells should have been very hard in your area. It's not really snow that kills plants but rather the freeze and thaw cycles in the spring. Perhaps next fall, add some mulches to that area for added protection. See if that works. Anyway, happy shopping. I too have been hunting down many plants to add to the mix.

Ianna

• bonniepunch
    15 years ago

I have found that the amount of snow matters if it doesn't drain well as it melts. Almost everytime I lose a plant, it's because it's drowning under ice and water that can't drain. Pain in the rear! I found Heuchera in particular does not like to drown :-)

Echinacea is usually pretty darn tough, but the 'Alba' one can be fussier. I tried it a couple of times and found it struggled for me while the old standby purple one was like a weed.

BP

• dannie
    15 years ago

I lost some hostas that were in a planter, all of my brunneras as well as most dead nettles. Overall, I consider that is nothing compared to last year where I lost 95% of my plants.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Here on the east coast we had about 7 freeze thaw cycles and I expected more of a loss than I had. The only ones I've noticed have been about 5 Buddleias grown from seed last year. There's lots more so not to worry. The Dartmoors are the ones which didn't return so those are out for my gardens.

I also lost two established Blue Poppies out of five but have a whole bunch of new seedlings of them coming up, so again, that's OK.

What I don't like is these new Echinaceas which die on you like crazy. I bought Sunrise and Sunset last year and both are really struggling to come back. There's a whole post about this new series on the Perennial Forum and how they are failing our gardens unlike the old great varieties. Bonnie, I'll stick with the weedy one anyday! :O)

Oh, and I lost 3 Junipers! Yes, Junipers! That was tough. I have to do something about them and am not quite sure where to start. Might use them as climbers for Morning Glories this year until I figure this one out. They were the Skyrockets - grow straight up.

• ianna
    15 years ago

BP - that was a good point. Drainage is important. In the case of my coral bells, they are planted on a slight mound and right beside a dry river bed drainage system. In the case of my echinacea, it's on a slight slope towards the sidewalk so again there's no danger of getting waterlogged.

Ianna

• nico6196
    15 years ago

I think we lost our butterfly bush, so far nothing has emerged from it, so I am pretty sure it's gone. But then again I thought my phlox was gone but after going on vacation for almost 2 weeks, something has shown up, so I guess I didn't lose it.

• halaeva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks,Bonnie,dannie,tiffy,nico for responses.I wish you all a pleasant and successfull gardening season.
    Hala.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists