Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonniepunch

Where there's a will, there's a way (greenhouse substitute)

bonniepunch
17 years ago

I had been planning to buy one of those Canadian Tire 'Seasonal' greenhouses to protect my seedlings from the rampaging devil rats (aka squirrels), but we got hit with another massive vet bill. So, no greenhouse. I'd rather have my cat than a greenhouse anyway.

But I still needed something, and since I didn't really want this thing as a greenhouse, but as a protective barrier, I decided to improvise. I already had a big box made of chickenwire and 2x2 wood, but it really wasn't the best thing for a lot of seedlings. I tore that apart, and with the bits of that and some creative dumpster diving, I made myself a nifty screen and chickenwire enclosure. It is six feet high, four feet wide, and almost two and a half feet deep. The back and sides are wood framing with chicken wire and I put wood trellis over the visible bits to make it a bit better looking. The top and front are window screening - the front is two long pieces hanging down, overlapping a bit in the middle, and attached to the wood at the top and the sides, but you can part it in the middle to get in. It has three shelves (plus the bottom) that can each hold about 90 4" pots, so I have enough space for all my seedlings. Yay!

I can't post a photo of it, because the charger for my camera broke and I haven't replaced it yet ( more bills!).

BP

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?