Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontnative

First daylily blooming today

ontnative
13 years ago

My earliest daylily (Hem. 'Springsyde') opened its first blooms today, a real deep yellow, almost on the orange side. It doesn't have a very long bloom time, but I like it because it's so early. Not too many daylilies bloom in May in my zone.

Comments (6)

• dianasan
    13 years ago

You beat me by a mile. The first open bloom on my Stella d'Oros was on Saturday, the 29th. They are loaded with buds, as is another dwarf daylilly whose name I'll remember as soon as I see the bloom.

No buds yet on any of my other daylillies.

• swontgirl_z5a
    13 years ago

Hi,
    I have no blooms yet although one of my seedlings looks like it will beat everything else and bloom tomorrow. The top of the bud is split so I hope it opens all the way.
    I have buds on Emerald Eye, Yellow Bouquet, Cosmopolitan, Rosy Polyphemus, Mary Williams, Zona Rosa and Siloam Ribbon Candy. Some of these rebloomed for me last year so maybe I just have leftover scapes from that. I think Yellow Bouquet was quite early last year.
    I have many seedlings with scapes. The one that is about to bloom was a bee pod on Gordon Biggs from 2008. It was the largest pod I collected that year and had the biggest and most seeds in it. I decided if it was that determined to grow then I would start the seeds. It is probably a cross with itself. Another of mine with buds is Strawberry Candy x Ever Delightful. Some on seeds I purchased are Lord Trickster x Unknown, Cliffs of Abique x Wind Master, Admirable Curmudgeon x Doo Wop, Early Alibi x Coral Taco. Can't wait to see them!!

• sheryl_ontario
    13 years ago

I can't wait for mine to bloom! I want to make some daylily petal wine this year!

Here is a link that might be useful: Making Flower Wines

• ontnative
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think that 'Springsyde" opened its last blooms today, so it is indeed a short bloomer, only 16 days. Perhaps in full sun it might last a bit longer. I have another extra early one called 'Play Money' that is very similar to Stella D'Oro but just a tad earlier. My other EE ones are some tall minis I grew from seed many years ago. No names. They are just starting to bloom now.
    Of the ones you mentioned, "swontgirl", I also grow 'Yellow Bouquet'. When you grow the hybrids from seed, do they bloom the second year? I'm growing a couple of species daylilies from seed, but they seem to be slow-growing, so I am not expecting blooms for a few years.

• swontgirl_z5a
    13 years ago

Hi,
    My Yellow Bouquet opened June 3 and Cosmopolitan bloomed June 6. My Gordon Biggs seedling bloomed June 2 but wasn't terribly impressive:) There are scapes popping up all over now.
    Ontnative,
    Hopefully most of my seedlings that I planted out in May 2009 will bloom this year. They were seeds form 2008 and I started them indoors under lights anywhere from Dec1 2008 to Feb 2009.
    I am not sure how you can grow Species from seed. I would assume any daylilies that are fertile will cross with something else or themselves to make seeds. Even these selfs will be different from the mother plant. I thought the only way to reproduce the same plant was to take fan divisions. What species are you growing?

• ontnative
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I purchased species seeds from Gardensnorth. Last year I started Hem. minor and this year I started Hem. citrina vespertina. I have four seedlings of each type. I wintersowed them in containers outside in Jan-Feb. They appear very healthy but are slow-growing, much slower than the modern hybrids.
    My 'Yellow Bouquet' is in part shade and just opened a couple of days ago, so at least a week after yours.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz