Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to Move a Crabappler

Posted by cactusmcharris 4 / Interior BC (My Page) on
Tue, May 26, 09 at 23:30

We have an ornamental (in flower now) crabapple (Malus sp.?) that's in too-confined of an area and would do better being in another spot. It's about 10' tall.

Can anyone here give me some pointers as to when and particulars as to how for this particular genus? I've moved large shrubs and other ornamental plants before, but this is my first tree.

Thanks in advance,

jh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
'...Crabapple?'

Correction - I don't now know, nor have I ever known, a crabappler.

o
RE: When to Move a Crabappler

I would prefer to move such large things in fall when plants go into dormancy, still if the need is to do it now, I would guess it's not a bad time either. Only don't do it in summer, don't do it when the week has been particularly hot and dry.. Water the plant well a day before the dig. You will need some help. Two more strong arms or more would help. Start off by digging the hole the tree will be transplanted to. Add a little compost - no fertilizers. Have a large tarp or a wheelbarrow handy to place the tree. Make sure your spade is sharp. Then begin digging the tree. Start off by digging a large circle around the tree and begin digging deep and below the tree. Make sure you have a large rootball...Cut off excess small roots when doing so. The larger the rootball the better. Transfer to a burlap or tart or wheelbarrow and drag or carry earth and all to the new spot. Place in the centre (if using burlap, you can leave the burlap in the hole), secure the tree upright with stakes on 2 opposite sides. Start watering the roots and then start backfilling with the earth you took out. Don't use compost completely as the tree needs firmer soil to remain steady. Backfill right up to the base of the trunk, and cover with some mulch. Water regularly but do not fertilize - not until the tree is fully recovered.

Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here