Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying to identify a tree

Posted by Solanales88 3b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 0:05

I have this really beautiful tree in my garden that came with the house, but I'm having trouble identifying it. It produced clusters of little red leaves early in the season, as well as small flower bud clusters that resembled cauliflower florets (my mom affectionately calls it her "buttered cauliflower tree" lol). As the flowers got bigger, they opened to look like yellow astilbe plumes, and now the leaves look similar to rowan, only more rigid. My neighbour thought it was filipendula, but I don't think it is; the flowers are different in shape and colour, and the growth habit seems different. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me identify it.
The picture isn't great (my camera is terrible), but it's the "flowers" as they opened.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying to identify a tree

here's a picture from earlier in the season

o

and one more picture

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 14:02

When I saw the first picture I thought of the Japanese Tree Lilac. Is this it?
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/s/syrret/syrret1.html

o

No, definitely not a lilac. It doesn't show in the picture I uploaded, but there is a Japanese lilac right beside this mystery tree, and the shape, leaves, and flowers are all wrong. Also, the "flowers", if that's what they are, never opened more than what's in the first picture. They weren't fragrant, either. :(

o

It's an Elderberry (Sambucus sp.)

Your photos don't reflect enough unique characteristics to identify which species though.

o

The first to bloom in our area is the Red Elderberry, usually early to mid spring. The flowers are like the ones in your photo and not like the flat topped group of flowers seen on other species. The blooms of Red Elderberry have a strange and some would say unpleasant scent but only up very close. A nice shrub for shady woodland gardens and good for birds.

Mike

o

Thanks for the help. It's a nice tree, though mostly fruitless. The robins seem to like nesting in it though, which is good

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here