Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
are these roses??

Posted by joyce75 6b ONT canada (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 5, 06 at 1:07

If anyone lives in Burlington you may have seen these flowers all over the parking lot at the Power Centre on Brant St. Can anyone tell me what they are and how to propagate them? I have a feeling they may be shrub roses but not sure. They are also blooming on trafalgar in Oakville. And they smell lovely! Thanks, Joyce

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: are these roses??

• Posted by janetr Ottawa USDA 4a (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 5, 06 at 12:51

Yes, roses. Some kind of rugosa. They can be propagated by cuttings. Some rugosas sucker also and they can be dug up and transplanted (not that I would recommend taking a shovel to somebody else's roses!). You could also try harvesting a rosehip in the fall and wintersowing the seeds. Rose seeds do need stratification, so wintersowing should fit the bill.

Hope this helps.

Janet's Garden

o

hi, i believe it to be a rugosa called Hansa. I have one and it smells beautiful and is super tough (it is curbside). They are pretty popular so you should be able to purchase easily.

cheers
Yvonne

o

Hi: I believe that Yvonne has hit the name & plant quite correctly.

Bill

o

Thanks so much for the information. Joyce

o

I wish you lived near me........I could give you fist full of suckers that escape everywhere on a weekly basis.

I've been pulling suckers of these things for 5 years now -

I've even poured 'wipe out' on them, only these rose suckers enjoy the toxic cocktail drink and continue to pop up more suckers as a reward for my efforts.

When you see them growing in these concrete enclosures in parking lots, there is a reason for that - if they actually planted them near any sembalance of soil, they'll take off and sucker everywhere - it would be one thing if they were blooming but 90% of the suckers don't bloom any flowers - just empty one stick prickly wonders....just a little fore-warning on what you might be in for.

o

Yes, it is definitely a rugosa, but I would suggest Jens Munk instead of Hansa, it is shorter and the flowers more refined. We have Fru Dagmar Hastrop, a parent of Jens Munk and Darts Dash and wouldnt be without them. They also have very large hips which last most of the winter. If you want them not to spread consider getting them grafted instead of own root.
Leo

o

• Posted by dllfb Ontario 5a (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 19, 06 at 22:41

Do these flower all summer long...are they used as a hedge?

o

You say by a parking lot, I would then presume a Pavement Series rose, perhaps 'Pierette' Pavement, very tough rose for areas like that.

'Pierette' Pavement is a R. rugosa hybrid, free flowering, vigorous shrub with semi-double pure pink blooms.

Sharon

o

• Posted by janetr Ottawa USDA 4a (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 28, 06 at 12:21

Pavement is a European term in this instance, referring to sidewalks. The series was given the name because they are low-growing and suitable for planting along sidewalks. No connection there to parking lots whatsoever. Not that they couldn't be planted beside parking lots, but rugosas, because of they are inexpensive, very hardy and low- to no-maintenance are what you will usually find in that kind of setting.

I think the thornier varieties would make a great hedge around a veggie garden, but the suckering might be a bit of a problem.

Janet's Garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here