Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy Pine bark fines in Toronto?

Posted by elbereth (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 2, 10 at 3:55

Hi everyone,

Anyone know where to buy pine bark fines in Toronto, preferably in North York / Scarborough? I couldn't find it in the large home/garden stores like Home Depot, Rona or Canadian Tire. Or is it sold under a different name? Thanks in advance,

elbereth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy Pine bark fines in Toronto?

Well if they can't be found in seasonal centres, do start checking regular all year round centres.

To start in North York you can call Sheridan Nursery (located on Lawrence in Yonge), Woodhill Nursery (on Steeles (I think)) and in Richmond Hill, Angelo's Nursery (also in Richmond Hill - but closer to Vaughan), Tree Valley (Bayview & Elgin Mills).

Just be prepared to look around for the best price available because if it is that difficult to locate in seasonal centres, it might be pricier than the rest of the mulches. Have you checked walmart BTW?

o

Hmm, haven't checked Walmart. Thanks for the tip.
I did check Sheridan. All I could find was an orchid bark mix containing untreated bark, which made my plants rot. =(

o

Before you go visiting garden centres, contact them so you aren't wasting your time. There's another garden centre opposite to Sheridans on Highway 7 and I cannot recall the name for that one. I haven't visited it but it does look intriguing.

Oh and yet another area to check -- LOWES.

Untreated wood isn't not good at all for plants.

o

Bark certainly needs to be treated before being used for orchid culture, in so far as it must be stripped of all softer core wood. Otherwise it will rapidly decompose in the humid atmosphere most orchids need, causing root suffocation, or in the worst scenario, disease.

o

true. they are nitrogen robbers. So you need these stuff for orchids?

o

For orchids, and to make a more long-lasting planting medium for my potted perennials.

o

you know, I originally lived in southeast asia. Many orchids there and I recall my mom using coconut husks to grow orchids in. And if you are interested, I spotted Canadian tire selling these stuff in large quantities. Otherwise, you might just simply approach local orchid growers for their sources of pine bark.

o

2 years ago I found it at Fortinos 3940 Highway 7, Vaughan, in a No name yellow bag. They were fine pine bark and partially composted, and I made my own planting medium following All's recipe. I hope they are still carrying it.

o

• Posted by bjbond 5b GTA/Ontario (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 10, 10 at 16:45

I acn't find Pine Bark Fines in the GTA either. Closest I have been to this, is a $10-12 per 2 cu.ft. bag of mini-nugget Pine Bark, branded "Hillview" @ Rona on 401 and Winston Churchill. (1 week ago)

I may have to drive back there and use the lawn mower method.

Anyone else having better luck?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawn mover method, by bonsaist

o

Where you ever able to find the pine bark fines in Toronto? I would love to know where you did.

Thanks

o

Try calling around garden centres -- not just the seasonal ones but those like Humber Nurseries in Mississauga, or Sheridan Nurseries in North York. Or if this is seriously for orchid growing medium - then there are orchid societies here who can at least provide directions. Start with contacting the Toronto Botanical Garden for information on such clubs because I do know they host annuals orchids show there.

o

I know this is a year later, but Alltreat makes a canada red pine bark mulch that's supposed to be really great. Home hardware can order it for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here