Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackgavotte

just saying hello

blackgavotte
10 years ago

Hoping to find some activity in this forum, for information and general interest, it seems that not too many people use the Northern Canadian forum, I'm in the Maritimes, moved here in fall 2011, just learning about the different gardening challenges here, wrestling the ground slowly to my liking... well, sort of.. yesterday, June 21, the first day of summer, finally my first rosebuds opened, after a miserable spring. Marie Bugnet, bless her heart..

Comments (9)

• dianasan
    10 years ago

Hello and welcome, blackgavotte! What a lovely garden and that's a beautiful rose. I'm going shopping for roses tomorrow and hope to find a nice white Sir Thomas Lipton.

• diane_v_44
    10 years ago

Happy Canada Day and my you have done well in just a year of gardening.
    At this location

I don't seem to do so much with roses nowadays
    Getting older and trying to simply my gardens so as they look good but have or require less work.
    Such as Hydrangeas and hostas, and there are some strong perennials Such as Lupins and Delphiniums, Day lilies Daisys. Chrysanthemums which ae one of my favourites

• wiley1983
    10 years ago

hi, i noticed you are from n.s?? im from the valley, what part are you from??

• swontgirl_z5a
    10 years ago

Hey!
    Welcome to the forum. I wish too that there was more activity on this forum. The far north forum seems to have many current members who post but there doesn't seem to be anything regular used by the rest of the country. I go on their's every once and a while but am not sure if I should. I know we have such different climatic conditions in this country but I think we could all benefit from some exchange of information.
    Your garden is lovely. I too have given up on fancy roses. I have planted some hardy ones in what I call the wild side of my front yard. It is along a field on our farm and I have tried to plant it with flowering shrubs. This is the first year many of the roses have actually done something and they all seem to be the same pink colour for some reason!
    I am busy right now with all of my daylilies. I hybridize and have hundreds of seedlings blooming that I am trying to get photos of. It rained all spring and the weeds in a couple of them are horrendous. I just couldn't keep up. Now it is dry -I still can't quite believe that - and I am starting to water all of the huge lush plants that grew with all of the rain!
    Good luck with your soil-it looks like you are making headway.
    Keep posting to show us how it is going!
    Debbie

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

Hi ya blackgavotte, welcome to the forum and mice garden you have there!

Swontgirl you are welcome on the far north forum, as well as anybody else, whenever you would like. It is a great bunch of folks, albiet most a little zone envious, and is pretty active. I invite everyone to stop in and say hi. Just don't tell them I sent you as they already envious of my zone lol

• clax66
    10 years ago

Hi Blackgavotte, your garden looks lovely for such a short time!

I'm a struggling novice in Zone 6 Canada and I had posted my challenges last week under Northern Gardening, maybe I should have posted here since it looks a bit more active!

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

clax try the far north forum it has a lot more activity than here. Aren't all us Canucks in the far north anyways, Eh?

• blackgavotte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi folks, so nice to see some responses, I feel very welcome ! I had computer problems starting around mid June so was staying off it quite a bit, trying to make it last until the new one arrived and was set up, now I'm good to go. I'm still working on the extension, enlarging that front plot on its north end by about 10 x 4, and oh my the rocks... but I did get the west end of it finished to a point where I could put in the odds and ends I'd bought, ( two new roses first of course, went with Therese Bugnet. Will keep picking at the extension over the summer, find I just don't have the strength I used to, being a senior now, but if it takes me longer, oh well... Will keep in touch and post as I go along, nice to meet you all.

• blackgavotte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oops, Wiley, forgot to say I moved to just outside Yarmouth in Sept. '11, love the area and people, not so much the rocks and the heavy clay soil, oh well, another challenge to keep me alert...