Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will they still grow? I really need some advice!

Posted by danny1984 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 6:38

Hello! Does anybody out there know if you can sow papaver somniferum poppy seeds in eastern ontario starting in late april until june 1 and still have them come up sometime soon. Like, is late April early enough for them to come up at a decent time, like early summer or whenever? I am really not sure if sowing even in late April is early enough and deffinatly not sure if planting after that random times until June 1 is early enough. The last time I sowed these multiple kinds of papaver somniferum poppy seeds was the morning of June 1 because I was told they need cold weather to even sprout, so i planted a crap load of them at that time hoping I would get all my seeds in before its too late, I think that the first of June is especially too late, or is it for them to sprout at all? Or when will they pop up? As well as the earlier seeds? I don't even know if the late April ones will pop up? Man, I really hope some of them pop up! Last year i tried planting some during the summer and had no success, so it made perfect sense that the seeds need some cold weather to start. I wonder if all of the seeds will eventually grow before summer ends?That would be awesome but i think that would take a couple of cold weeks starting june 1 so i doubt the june seeds will grow considering it is getting warmer every day now. There was alot of cold rainy weather after the first bunch of seed showings so I have some hope. I just hope the weather was and is going to be right for most of the seeds to grow? I really need some advice! Can anyone give me some answers? I would really appreciate it if someone could respond to this! Peaceout! Sincerely, Danny 1984

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will they still grow? I really need some advice!

My Mom grew the double almost black ones and the double reds. In both cases she just scattered seeds about now and they came up. Don't think she covered them all that deep, just dusted with a thin covering of soil. She always said they shouldn't dry out or they might not come up. Sorry, that's all I can remember.

o

My Mom used to tell me that if seeds germinated after being frozen all winter, under the snow, then they should germinate no matter when you plant them...the earlier, the better...and she never bothered to cover them just scratched them into the ground. She had poppies growing nonstop, beautiful colours.

o

If you ever want to force something to grow from seed, place it in frig or freezer for awhile...lets seed think its over wintered when you plant it outdoors...it's very hot lately..spritz your seeds if no rain available.

o

Most poppy seeds need light to germinate so be sure to surface plant them. Any I have sowed in the summer I never see till the following spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here