Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
self seeding & forget-me-nots

Posted by purple-anemone Toronto, Canada (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 7:14

I wonder if there is a way to encourage forget-me-nots (myosotis) to self-seed. Mine only did one or 2 new plants last season and I see them in gardens in mass sometimes. The mulch I use could maybe prevent it? If so, should I remove the mulch and when and where and how much?
I just love self seeders, also because of their free way of growing. California poppies did very well in my garden, self-seeding last season in spite of the mulch. They're so colorful and long flowering. (and underrated, I'd say :-)).
Any other ideas for good self seeders would also be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: self seeding & forget-me-nots

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 9:25

Mulch would certainly stop plants from self seeding. Once the plants go to seed, pull the mulch away from the plants to improve chances of reseeding. Other plants that reseed are marigolds, calendula (pot marigold), pansies or violas, sweet william (wonderful for fragrance), nigella (really nice ferny foliage), carnations, zinnias. I'm sure there are lots of others. Personally I do not grow Forget Me Nots anymore because the plant dies right after flowering, for me anyway. I grow Jack Frost Brunnera, Chinese Forget Me Not. It flowers about the same time, reseeds, and has lovely foliage after flowering. Hope this helps. Marg

o

For-get-me-nots are biennial so you need to seed them two years in a row to get them to reseed and flower reliably.
I do not have mulch where I grow them.
Caroline

o

rose campion and columbine are great re-seeders along with echinaceas and gaillardias and foxgloves.

o

I had some FMN that did well last year. I saved a ton of seeds and tried to germinate them this year. Not a seed sprouted, BUT the seeds leftover from last year (the original pack) did sprout.

I think it's the fact that they were from McKenzie's and must have been GMO.

o

This year I had tons of forget-me-nots that bloomed in my front yard. After blooming and when the seeds have formed and dried on the plant, I remove the plant totally, turn it upside down and give it a shake. This allows for the seed to fall out. In time seedlings will emerge. I then thin them out as they grow, and when they are large enough, I transplant them where I want them to be next year. I believe that biennial means that the seedlings require two seasons growth, and in this case, you need to grow the seedlings one year in order for it to bloom the next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here