Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How is the Rose Midge doing out there?

Posted by robertak 4b ON (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 7, 06 at 7:23

Hello There

I posted on the rose forum that I am battling rose midge. I have had my garden tarped for almost 2 weeks now and it has really slowed down, but I still have a couple of spots every morning.

I am just wondering how my fellow Canadians are doing with this monster. I think it was SueTo who had some as well.

Has anyone had any luck eradicating this thing?

Thanks for the input.

Roberta

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How is the Rose Midge doing out there?

I caught sight of it really early around mid-May on one particular climber (2 year old William Baffin). The advice I was given was to clip it back (boo hoo had to loose all those newly formed buds), dispose of those buds in the trash and foliar the plant and surrounding earth with diluted neem oil, dish soap and water.

It did the trick - and although none of my other roses were affected I gave them the neem foliar spray just to play it safe.

This particular affected William Baffin bounced right back and is forming new growth again so I'm quite pleased.

All my roses are doing amazing things - I'm doing up a second batch of alfalfa tea to give them their monthly feeding again in a week or so....that alfalfa tea smells bad but boy - the amount of basal breaks and buds on my roses are crazy in numbers.

Good luck with getting rid of your "Midge".

o

Thanks for the tip. Can you share your recipe for the spray? I am glad to hear of your sucess! It gives me hope

Thanks

o

My little bottle of Einstein's says 1/2 measuring cup full (they give you the measuring cup so you know the exact amount) of Neem Oil, about 6-8 drops of any liquid dish soap to 1 litre of water - put these three items in a 'windex-sized' spray bottle and give it a shake.

After you've clipped back and discarded the seriously affected buds (and trashed them), use this spray right away - the Einsteins Neem Oil bottle said the potency of this mixture lasts only up to 8 hours so I made up my batch and use it all up doing a complete foliar spray on that one affected climbing rose and used the extra solution for good measure on the other roses nearby right after mixing.

I've never had to repeat it as it took care of the problem.

Here's knowing you'll get that "Midge" licked in no time!

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 8, 06 at 16:25

Thanks,Syd. I fear that I have had one rose affected as well.

o

Thanks for the help Syd! I am off to find neem oil today!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here