Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
annuals for shade

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 8:19

I am looking for some flowering/foliage annuals for shade. I know about impatiens, coleus, begonias and some forget me nots. How about allyssum? Does it flower in shade? Anything else? I do love foliage but something that flowers would also look nice. Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: annuals for shade

I don't think alyssum would do well in shade but how about browalia and/or torenia? There are others but not that I can think of at the moment.

o

I planted Osteospermum in my front garden last year (morning sunlight only), and (surprisingly) it did well enough, though I'm sure it would have preferred a sunnier spot. I also had great success with Morning Glory in the same spot, though it didn't grow as high as I'd hoped. Finally, I'd certainly suggest that you try some Scizanthus if you haven't considered these plants -- they're just spectacular, thrive in cool, moist, and shady locations, and provide beautiful colour for me from May to September in my Peace River, AB garden.

o

Schizanthus is good and so is mimulus.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 8:17

Thanks for the suggestions! I've grown Scizanthus before but I thought it needed full sun. Will have to start growing it again. I love the flowers. I looked up muimulas and they might be worth a try too. Marg

o

Try Garden Balsam (Impatiens balsamina). Nicotiana will bloom nicely in part shade. I have self-seeding patches of annual Candytuft (Ibiris umbellata) that do just fine with not much sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here