Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontnative

Does anyone grow Hemerocallis 'CORKY'?

ontnative
13 years ago

Does anyone know a commercial source of Hemerocallis (daylily) 'Corky', preferably in southern Ontario, or is anyone out there willing to trade me a couple of fans? It is a fairly tall yellow-gold with near-black stems, developed, I believe, in the UK.

Comments (9)

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

I checked and Heritage Perennials does have it. If you can find a nursery near you that sells HP (blue pots), they either have it or can get it in for you. Hope this helps. Marg

• ontnative
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Marg. Since I posted, I see that Marjorie Mason (now Mason House Gardens) in Uxbridge, is advertising 'Corky', so I may try her. If one of my local nurseries retails Heritage plants, but not the one I want, do I just ask them to order the specific one I would like? I've never done this before.

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

When I want a specific plant, I just ask them if they can get it in for me. They are always glad to do it if they don't have it in stock.

• ontnative
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Marg. I'll have to try it. Now what else have I been looking for that I can't find in the nurseries. . . .?

• ontnative
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was at a roadside sale area of perennials south of Guelph yesterday and think I found 'Corky' mislabelled as 'Bitsy'. It has the brown colour on the back of the flower, the correct flower shape, size and colour, dark stems, etc. Not only that, it was on sale for $3. The sale area (next to a busy highway) was a mess, pots loaded with weeds, labels almost non-existant, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. They had tons of potted roses and hostas, as well as daylilies, mostly older varieties.

• swontgirl_z5a
    13 years ago

Was this near Aberfoyle? I would also like to get Corky but don't know if I can get down there this week.

• ontnative
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Swontgirl, this was at the north end of Aberfoyle on the east side of the main road. Yes, it an outlet for Hortico. Someone else is selling plants at the former Hortico area south of Aberfoyle, where the metal quonset bldgs are located. I didn't go there, so I can't report on their stuff. I can't swear that my plant is Corky of course, but if not, it is very similar to the real thing. Apparently all the daylilies are $3 now, so if you see something you like in flower, it's a bargain. Some of the labels are correct, but not all. It's a bit of a gamble.

• ontnative
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The plant I bought last year turned out to be Bitsy, which is what it was labelled. Bitsy and Corky appear to be very similar. My confusion came from the fact that I have have been growing for many years a small yellow daylily (bought as Bitsy) which I now realize is NOT Bitsy, but possibly Butterpat. Oh, the confusion of labelling in the daylily business!! Even the ethical sellers and botanical gardens, etc. frequently get their labels mixed up. I am still looking for the REAL 'Corky' in case anyone comes across one.

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

ooooh I would love to get down there to pick up H. Wild and Wonderful. Where exactly is Uxbridge if anyone one knows please. I would be coming from the London area

Signet

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction