Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

ginko biloba tree

marricgardens
15 years ago

We bought one three years ago and it was doing just fine. This year it seems to have stalled. I say stalled because it is still alive (I checked for greening under the bark) but it has not leafed out. I know some of the branch tips might be dead so I thought of pruning but not to sure how to prune a tree - have to read up on it. I was wondering if anyone elses had leafed out yet and if there was any hope for mine? Keeping my fingers crossed. Marg

Comments (12)

• ianna
    15 years ago

I've seen a few young ginkos which had only a few leaves, that I suspect may have suffered from last year's severe drought. I suspect that during the drought times, some the roots had been damaged and with water not reaching the branche or trunks, these parts would have sustained cellular damages as well. it will recover but slowly. Be sure to keep the plant watered during any prolonged drought periods. Some folks may have mulched such trees heavily in which case, water deep because mulches can actually prevent water from reaching down to its roots. A little amount of good compost and composted manure would probably help in it's recovery - but not too much

As for pruning I'd say simply prune any obviously dead branches - it's more aesthetic at this point. It will also help remove the risks of pest infestations. However, it won't do anything to help the tree recover faster.

ianna

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ianna. We try to keep all the trees and shrubs well watered but we get a lot of wind in this area. The combination of drying winds and strong sun can take its' toll. We've already lost several crabapples because of it. I did prune off some of the dead tips on the branches. I'll add compost around it as you suggested and see if that helps. Marg

• ianna
    15 years ago

You probably won't see dramatic results until perhaps next year. Watch out for any pests or diseases because like us, when stressed trees become vulnerable to illnesses.

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

Here is my gingko biloba planted last summer, it has come back this year and leafing out like crazy.

{{gwi:405112}}

{{gwi:531278}}

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Update: Today, the tree is starting to leaf out but only on the lower portion of the trunk. I suspect that the top was winter killed. We fertilize with Aggrand and have also been using it as a foliar spray. I've been clipping some of the top branches and they have been dead but I don't know what to do about the trunk -- I'm leary of clipping that! The bottom potion is coming along slowly and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the rest. Marg

• mdas
    13 years ago

Can we plant a gingo in the backyard about 15 to 20' from house. Will it's root hit/damage the home foundation? Is anyone aware, thanks in advance for the replies.

• ianna
    13 years ago

I'm not aware if the roots of a gingko tree is invasive. I think not. I've seen them planted besides sidewalks. However do plant it far from your or any other homes and that's because in the future, you may have lots of gingko nuts and leaves falling down on roofs and damming eaves. It will become a huge tree eventually. Might as well prepare for that.

Ianna

• origami_master
    13 years ago

Re: ginko nuts

I believe ginkos are dioecious (trees are either male or female) and to my knowledge, the trees that nurseries sell (and the ones planted by the city) are all male trees, and should not set nuts. However, the falling leaves in the fall can clog up the gutters (which can be a BIG pain to clean!)

• ianna
    13 years ago

origami master - true re Male and Female. However I have seen mature trees planted by the city that produce seeds. Perhaps in current times they no longer plant female trees.

Yet with any tall tree one has to think of falling leaves, branches, creatures that may want to make that tree their home, or use the tree to get into your house... so as always, plant far from the house.

• madtripper
    13 years ago

@ Glaswegian.

Looking at your second picture, I have a couple of comments about your planted tree.

1) A newly planted tree should never need so many ties to the stakes. One should be lots and it usually is not needed. the lowest rope is never needed. You want the tree to move a bit in the wind to strengthen it's roots.
    2) You have had the tree for a year now - it is time to take all ties off.
    3) From the picture it looks as if the tree is still in burlap. this should be removed at planting time. At this point, I would dig down to see if any roots have come out of teh burlap. I would not expect this to be the case. if there are no roots outside the burlap, I would dig the tree up again, remove burlap and any wire, and replant the tee. This should be done in either spring or fall.
    4) I see a cone of soil/burlap around the trunk of the tree. This is not a good thing. the tree should be planted so that soil is flat around the tree. the depth should be even with the point at which roots start to flar out from the tree. A lot of times this is below the soil level when a tree is put in pots.

• boonikki29
    9 years ago

We planted a new tree last year...it appears strong and taken root well and is about eight feet tall. Last month, it was budding green new leaves and then we had a few cold nights and frost. The leaves are now curled and the tips are brownish black. Is there anything I can do for it?

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert