Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninamarie_gw

Warning about Canadian Tire

ninamarie
12 years ago

I talked to a young man recently who told me that while he was in the process of selecting several lilies to buy at Canadian Tire in Hanover, Ont., another shopper pointed out to him the hundreds of red lily beetles on the plant. He said without her intervention he would have brought the beetle home to his property.

But with such unqualified plant sellers in the marketplace, maybe we will all be inflicted with this beetle soon and unable to continue to grow our favourite lilies or fritillaria anymore.

Comments (12)

• ninamarie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry. My mistake. It was Orangeville, not Hanover.
    However, since Canadian Tire gets its plants from the same supplier, I would be very, very cautious.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    12 years ago

You haven't got the lily beetle in Orangeville??? Lucky....
    It's everywhere else in the Golden Horseshoe.

• sheryl_ontario
    12 years ago

Thanks for the warning! I will have to be carefuly buying lilies from CT!

• diane_v_44
    12 years ago

That lily bug
    such a huge problem it is and how very sad for all of us who love to grow lilies
    they where just so easy and gorgeous.

One sure has to work on them now to keep the lily bug population at least in control.

I have a few lilies that are gorgeous in the flower bed but I at this time of year can not really reach them THey are amidst other tall plants and to get to them I would have to damage things

Funny though, that these lilies mostly do not get attacked by the bugs

Others are in the forefront.
    In my garden any that are around yet are those gooey black squishy things that are under the leaf.

I no longer hesitate to get them and squish them for sure. Even now enjoy to get them. Imagine But it is a hateful problem for lilies

I have never used an of the sprays or whatnot in my garden Just pick them off, any kind of bug and squish. For the most part seems to work But then I have more time, perhaps than some others, as I am retired and a putterer.

I notice that Canadian Tire and Zellers etc. do not carry as many interesting perenials as they have done other years. And about this time of year, or soon they would be coming on big sales
    Not so at any that I have been to this year

• ontnative
    12 years ago

We've had red lily beetles in the Guelph area for quite a few years now, but if you don't grow lilies, you may not be aware of it. In my garden, they only attack the lilies.

• thistle
    12 years ago

I am on the hunt as soon as the Lilies start to appear. I knocked 21 beetles off one Plant early in the Spring.I trolled Daily until I had them all and have not seen any others since. I did manage to obtain some Neem Oil which I have sprayed on the Leaves regularly and now I am eagerly awaiting the beautiful Blooms to appear.It was worth all the effort.

• ianna
    12 years ago

Well, at any point that you purchase plants from seasonal garden centers you always will have a risk of bringing home some pests. These centers hire seasonal help and not many have knowledge about plants.

You best bet to avoid such issues, is to be knowledgeable and to go to established garden centers because the risk should be less -although it's not failsafe. Having said this I do go to such places like Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Loblaws, Ronas, Lowes, etc.... to take my pick of the sales. Usually though the plants on sales would probably suffer from a host of problems so it's always buyers beware. In doubt, spray your plants with insecticides and fungicides before adding them to your garden bed.

• Cybersunday
    12 years ago

the little bugs migrate regardless where you buy them, you must control them at the beginning of the season , either neem oil or good old Raid work, you do need to spray a couple of times. I refuse to give up lilies , they are much too pretty and fragrant.

• ianna
    12 years ago

Don't give up on lilies. I have them too. Mixed in with my other plants. Perhaps you can add variety to your garden so as to keep the bug population down.

• ninamarie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The lily beetle has not yet hit me. I'm not sure why. Every lily grower nearby has it.
    But I don't want it introduced by some box store that should know a little (a lot) more about what they are selling.
    I worry not so much about the lilies I grow, but about my fritillaria. I have an extensive collection, and rely on them every year for a good spring show. I'd hate to lose them, and have read that they also harbour the lily beetle.

• swontgirl_z5a
    12 years ago

I don't have Red Lily beetles here yet either but I live in the country not close to neighbors. I buy Lilies only as bulbs and not as plants. Maybe this has helped me not to bring them home. I mail order bulbs in Spring or fall and have had good luck.
    Debbie

• ianna
    12 years ago

well, so do I swontgirl but I've not escaped those bugs. They appear out of nowhere.