Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shishy_girl

retaining wall mess!!

shishy_girl
13 years ago

hi everyone! we have a very large cement retaining wall in our backyard. behind it is the beginnings of what i hope will be a nice garden. but the wall itself is an eye sore. i want to soften it up, hide it a little. my husband doesnt want to attach a trellis or anything to the wall itself, and we bothdislike ivy. any suggestions on what i can use that will drap over the wall on its own AND look nice?

Comments (5)

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

Put in a free standing trellis with posts and lattice. There are plenty of vines besides ivy--honeysuckle or kiwi comes to mind--but there are more. You'd have to look to find one to suit you and your growing conditions. Another option would be to plant a row of shrubs beside it. There are lots of fruiting shrubs, or try a row of raspberries. A row of balcony planters on top could hold vines that droop down too.

• ianna
    13 years ago

can you post a photo? The ways to disguise an ugly fence, wall, house, view. is infinite.

My first thought --- is it possible to paint it to a very dark shade. By darkening the wall, it 'disappears' into the background. Then you disguise it with the trellis. Any wrought iron or wood trellis now available in garden centres would do. If it's a trellis of a lighter shade it will force the eye to spot the trellis and not the background. I have a preference for wrought iron ones as they will last for a long time.

You might think it radical but it's not really.. to paint a wall ebony (black/brown). I did this to my yard. It creates an instant classic look. The attention is no longer at the wall but at the plantings. It makes the garden wider and even more intimate. -- again do post a photo of the place if you can so we can assess with certainty. For example -what are the surrounding areas like? And would they look alright with such a wall.

For plants that can climb on the wall itself -- climbing hydrangea which provides a 4 season look. It will shed it's leaves in fall but it has a wonderful peeling bark stems.

Or if this is a sunny spot, any rambler roses. You can hook them up to the wall using eye hooks.

Or clematis which requires a trellis.

or honeysuckles - like what oilpainter said.

Or it doesn't have to be a vine. A nice deep coloured hedge like a couple of yews would go great. You can add some kind of garden ornament like a plaque on the wall. Or lighting..

Or other forms of tall shrubbery. So many possibilities. And with a dark wall, the flowers will really pop out.

Ianna

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Is Cotoneaster dammeri hardy where you live? That will grow downwards if planted along the top of the wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:531544}}

• ianna
    13 years ago

Hi Flora, so nice of you to visit this forum. Your most recent photos of plantings on the stone walls are inspirational. I wish I could find a rock wall to do similar plantings...

Ianna

• jaro_in_montreal
    13 years ago

A different idea....

{{gwi:531547}}

{{gwi:531548}}

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio