Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new to the forums need some assistance! please and thank you!

Posted by silvamon ON (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 10:43

hello all,

I live in Mississauga, Ontario.. I started out enjoying "gardening" in the last 3 years or so.I am 24 and I am fascinated with plants and the mass amount of different species and varieties out there. i have grown so far, money tree's (from cutting) and sheflerras.. also i bought a couple venus fly traps and managed to get that to flower and produce seeds which apparently is hard and rare according to what i have read.. (for first timers atleast) and well i really like dragon fruit and one day i thought i would take some seeds and plant them.. i had a cfl light in a old lizard tank where i was growing my money tree cuttings.. and well they grew! most died and i have one left. which i recently put outside to see if it would adapt as i have seen a post on here about a cutting outdoors in ontario. but it was MUCH larger.. mine is about an inch tall and probably 2 to 3 cms thick it's small( the picture is of it the day before i decided to put it outside i will take a picture of it now and post it and it turned white and started to curl so i figured i would bring it back inside into my tank.. does it need to be bigger before i try to do something like that? i don't really have a spot that is shady all the time.

sorry for the big cluster of questions but it's something i need to know and can't seem to find quality info/help around. this plant is native to thailand and Philippines am i correct? so when would i bring it inside my home? am i able to grow them from seed outside? so they grow outside? how big of a cfl bulb would i need.. right now i just have two regular cfls over it.. any help would be appreciated! i would like to see it get big enough to bring me some fruit.. please and thank you!!! looking forward to surfing these forums..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new to the forums need some assistance! please and thank you!

In short answer it would be a challenge. it's not a tree but a cacti. It does require a lot of good sunlight. Maybe 12 hours. it does require reaching 10 lbs in order to even flower. So if you have the space for it, give it a try then.

o

i can't post pictures for some reason but ok thank you,

so does this mean that they can infact grow here in ontario? what is best soil for them i have cactus soil mix with miracle grow potting soil and the seeds grew the next day! i have tried another batch and so far it's been 2 days with no seedlings. and temperatures and humidity... do you think anyone has ever had an indoor pitaya cactus off cfls light bulbs? haha

o

anybody else?

o

its tropical, it needs good and direct sunlight. it needs long exposure to good sun so if you are that into recreating an indoor greenhouse, they do not need lots of water being that these are cacti. I suggest checking for lighting needs. hydrophonics stores do sell the types of lights you require as do aquarium store but its expensive.

Also do research more on the plant and there's lots of information on the web. Look for cactus maintenance. or check with cacti collectors.

o

ok thank you . i dont know of any hydroponic stores in the area. but ill look into and i know everything i need for cactus maintenance i think whats happening is it needs more moisture

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here