Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I divide creeping phlox

Posted by sydseeds 5A /ON (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 05 at 11:23

The creeping phlox clumps are very large, but the main woody stems are coming off what appears to be a single main root system, is dividing even possible? I think if I divided it like I do hostas, I'm liable to killing the whole darn thing. Can anyone give me tips on how to divide up large clumps of creeping phlox?

Does it take to layering better?
Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I divide creeping phlox

Hi Syd
I have divided it like hosta and it does fine - I usually give it a major haircut first - and it repairs very quickly. It also layers well if you want lots & lots. It is a lot hardier than its delicate appearance would lead you to believe.
diane

o
RE: How do I divide creeping phlox

Thanks my friend! I want lots and lots but I'm still not brave enough to put a knife to that main solitary root system.

I'm leaning towards layering it for a month, then severing off the layers from the main plant once rooting takes place.

Signed - the creeping phlox dividing chicken Image hosted by Photobucket.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here