Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Northern Bayberry in S. Ontario?

Posted by greenrr 5a S. Ontario (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 5, 06 at 12:12

I have bought 4 Northern Bayberry shrubs spring 2005. Where in Southern Ontario are there other Northern Bayberry's that I can go look at in their maturity? It seems this is not a very popular shrub as it's hardly talked about in the shrub forum.

I'm near Markham, Ontario.

Mine are about 1 foot tall & it takes them a long time to get their growth spurt in the spring.

Cheers,
Greenrr

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Northern Bayberry in S. Ontario?

I bought some seeds of this plant and am trying to get them to germinate. One source I read said the height can be anywhere from 5 to 12 feet. Apparently there are separate male and female plants and the females get the berries. Anyways, this seems like a very hardy dependable shrub.

Glen

o
RE: Northern Bayberry in S. Ontario?

Some of the reasons for getting this shrub is that it is road salt tolerant, get's to 5-10 ft tall, is semi-evergreen here in Ontario anyways, & is pretty hardy.

I guess for some reason, it's not that popular, or as the following link shows - it's rare here.

I did buy 4, but have no idea what sex they are as this is the second year for them. I suppose with time if there are no berries they are either all male, or all female eh?

If they are so rare, I'm surprised that I found them - Vandermeer Nursery in Ajax.

http://www.ontariotrees.com/main/b/bayberry/

Cheers,
Greenrr

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here