Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryjanej_gw

Help choosing tulips. I know it's Early.

maryjanej
16 years ago

Hi,

I received my Botanus catalogue yesterday and need to place an order by July 13th to get free anemones.

I would like to know if anyone as had good success growing parrot tulips. Do they last for a few years?

Parrot Profusion Mix - 16016 Page 29

http://www.botanus.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=16016&Category_Code=FS&Product_Count=9

Here is another type I was also thinking of getting.

Rainbow Bulk Tulip Mix - 49030-1 page 52

http://www.botanus.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=49030-1&Category_Code=

Is anyone growing any of these? If so what is your experience with them. Will they return and last a few years?

Thanks

Mary-Jane

Comments (7)

• ianna
    16 years ago

You aren't the only one thinking of ordering tulips. I'm thinking of alliums and tulips to order. I find that parrots are great the first year of bloom but subsequently, I find that they don't perform as well. As for the rainbow mixes - these look fine. Although it doesn't state in the in ad, these look to be Darwins which I find perform well a couple of years after. Just so you are aware, most tulips will eventually start to diminish in performance which is why yearly replacements are adviseable. They will definitely return yearly just not as great. (The Dutch regularly replace their tulips on a yearly basis)

Here's a little trick, plant them by layering. I like to mix early, mid and late blooming tulips altogether in one hole. I do so by layering them and I also add some daffodils in the mix to deter rabbits. This way you will have a long bloom time period and it would resemble a living bouquet. Once all the tulips have gone dormant and you are left with ugly dying foliage, I would interplant pansies or other annuals to disguise the ugly foliage. Good luck.

Ianna

• wildie
    16 years ago

I am also thinking of my tulip order!!!
    The ones you have picked look very pretty!
    This will be my 1st try at them and I want to get Rembrandt and Blueberry Ripple!!!

• maryjanej
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Ianna
    That's a good trick the layering. I'll have to give that a try.I also like the idea of mix early, Mid and late show.

I contacted botanus and The rainbow tulip mix is a mix of Darwin and Triumph tulips that are mid season bloomers.

Wildie those are nice tulips you picked.
    Thanks
    Mary-Jane

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Get the Darwins, they act as perennials.

• maryjanej
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks crazy gardener,
    That's what I'll do I'll get the Darwins.
    Thanks
    Mary-Jane

• jannabeen
    16 years ago

I got tired of the ugly dying tulip foliage. They are also slug food. I converted to what the Botanus catalog calls mini botanical tulips. These bloom earlier than other tulips but their blooms last a long time: 4-5 weeks. They naturalize quickly and best of all, their foliage dies back to nothing.

I also have a real squirrel problem: I planted 20 Blueberry Ripple tulip bulbs three years ago, and this spring only one remained! I've learned to accompany each tulip bulb with one or two daffodil bulbs to deter those bushy-tailed bulb eaters.

• ianna
    16 years ago

Jannabeen, that's an interesting suggestion re the mini botanical tulips. I will give that a try myself.

Ianna