Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
any idea what this might be?

Posted by NicholaK none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 12:58

Hi there. I'm new here, and new to flower gardening really.
I have been trying my hand at a shade garden under a maple tree for the last couple years.
This year this guy showed up under there. I have no idea where it came from of what it is. The spot had been barren prior to me cleaning it up.
My friends seem to think it is a peony and suggest i move it to a sunny location but i don't want to move it until I'm sure what it might be.
Any ideas or best guesses would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: any idea what this might be?

Yes its a peony. Fr the looks of it, it'w been in the ground for a year. If you move it, it will not flower for another 1-2 years. If you do plan to move it, do so in the fall o(and then mulch) r best in the spring.

o

Thanks so much. I'm told it will never flower in the shade is that true? If it isn't i will leave it alone.
Also any idea how it may have gotten there? there are no other homes on that side so it didn't sneak under the fence it and wasn't there 3 years ago when i started this area. It just popped up this year and it didn't look like a weed so i left it to see what it was. (like i said I'm new to this whole flower thing I've always grown veggies only)

o

Oh neat. Congratulations. You said you cleaned the area up. That must have given the peony an opportunity to flourish. As ianna wrote, fall is the best time for moving.

Last year, I cleaned out a heavily overgrown bed. This year a peony popped up - isn't that funny? I experienced the same thing as you.

littlebin posted this link on the peony forum. It's relevant to your question regarding sun exposure and flowering. A friend of mine has found that a couple of cultivars do well in partial shade, but very few.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sun Shade

o

Thanks so much for the info. I really appreciate it

o

It does need good sun - so a possibility is the reduce the plants that are shading it or simply moving it to another location.

Below is a link to how to take care of your plants. I buy from this lady who comes here in Toronto once a year. I*'ve about 5 peonies in my front yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: peony envy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here