Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
halaeva

Did everything come up for you this year?

halaeva
16 years ago

Hi Everyone;

I have lost a large patch of Shasta Daisies,Persicaria 'Red Dragon' and three over 5'tall trees of Rose of Sharon:'Blue Bird' 'White Chiffon'and 'Hamabo'.

Did you loose any plant?

Comments (17)

• marricgardens
    16 years ago

I lost 2 Rose of Sharon, a 'White Clips' Campanula and 'Album' Verbascum. The only other thing I nearly lost was 'Betty Warren Woods' Daylily that Eric tilled under on me. Thank goodness it came back. Marg

• halaeva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Marg.
    You've lost them after all.I am sorry.I had a hope that the one will survive. Additionally you lost more of plants-i am more sorry.What a year!
    hala.

• jannabeen
    16 years ago

I lost a "hardy" hibiscus, lavender, and one rose - boo!!!! It was the late cold spell, combined with too early pruning. I learned my lesson.

• corydalisenvy
    16 years ago

I seem to have misplaced my monarda - a lovely plum coloured bee's balm. It was a voracious bloomer last year. I also lost an arisaema triplyllum (jack in the pulpit) and some mertensia verginicus. I hope that they simply got "lost" amongst the newbies that were introduced this year and that perhaps they will return next year.

• halaeva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your responses.
    Hala.

• dannie
    16 years ago

I just popped into this forum and spotted this thread. I am sorry for your losses. The losses for me this year were incredible. I have extensive beds in the backyard and lost 95% of my plants. Even things that had been around for 25 years rotted or disappeared. The only things that survived were the Ostrich ferns, some very sad bergenias, two peonies, 3 clematis, most shrubs and 3 delphiniums although one is almost non-existant. Altogether, I lost irises, bleeding hearts, perennial geraniums, all my hostas, 6 or seven clematis, coral bells, tiarellas, japanese ferns, hart's tongue fern, goat's beard, salvias, campanulas, astilbes, peonies, maidenhair fern, lady's mantle, two spireas, one burning bush, a zone 2 climbing rose ... I think I am going to stop listing as this list is depressing. I did go ahead and replaced most of these but I also took the opportunity of trying a few new things to me such as dead nettle, bruneras and canadian ginger. I ensured that anything I planted was for my zone or colder. My gardens look okay now but they are obviously in their first year when everything should have been full and lush. Oh well, life goes on. I put 3 to 4 inches of wood chip mulch on everything this year so hopefully, this will help the plants survive next winter.

Danni

• halaeva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dannie;

I am so terribly sorry for your loss, i am not able to find proper words to express my feeling.I am just very,very sorry.
    Such a beautiful garden like yours had to suffer that much.
    (I have seen your web page with all the garden pictures.
    I hope your garden regain it's champagne look fast.
    Hala.

• dannie
    16 years ago

Well, like I said, life goes on. I guess I should get busy and take pictures of what it looks like now. It really isn't too bad. Thanks for your sympathy.

Danni

• halaeva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Danni for your words.
    I will visit your web page often awaiting for new photos of your garden.
    Hala.

• dannie
    16 years ago

Hi Hala

You inspired me to get moving and I went out and took pictures. Can you believe that I just created a whole new website, and that includes taking the pictures, in less than an hour! The site included a slideshow as well. I love my Mac!!!

Danni

Here is a link that might be useful: Danni's Garden 2007

• halaeva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Danni
    I have seen it already and enjoyed it very much.You really did it very fast,amazingly fast and for sure you got tired.(Mia Culpa!!!) The whole land is an exhibition item. Thank you for the link.I had a great time to watch it.
    Hala.

Here i would like to recommend every GW member to see Danni's Garden.

• greylady_gardener
    16 years ago

I had to go and take a look. :) It really is lovely!
    Great job!!

• dannie
    16 years ago

Thank you for the compliments! Now if I could get the grass to grow in the lawn instead of weeds, it would be nice. I don't use chemicals because of my dogs. I am thinking of planting ground covers instead of grass but we will see.

Danni

• barbt
    16 years ago

I have tons of shasta daisies, am constantly trying to give them away... you're welcome to a bunch!

• halaeva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Barbt.
    I greatly appreciate your kindness.Thank you for offering me your Shasta.I would take it if i didn't puchase new plants for replacement.
    My regards,
    Hala.

• marricgardens
    16 years ago

I had posted earlier that I had lost my 'White Clips' Campanula. I didn't, it was only hiding. As you know, Centurea Montana reseeds everywhere and it reseeded right where the Campanula was. The only reason I found it was because I decided to pull out the centaurea. You can only have so many centaureas right? Besides, I like my Campanula. Marg

• halaeva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Marg.
    Thank you for your interesing update.I share your happiness that your Campanula is alive!
    Nice thing happend!
    I am happy for you.
    My regards-
    -Hala.