Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Guelph girl needs help with ID

Posted by myfairychloe 5b Guelph ON (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 08 at 14:04

Hey everyone,
I decided to make a little experimental garden on the side of my house where nothing but weeds will grow. This is what I've come up with. Can anyone identify this for me? Not sure if this link will work but I've also placed it in the "Name that Plant" gallery. "Little seedlings"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Guelph girl needs help with ID

Sorry, but can you clarify what you meant by experimental garden? What exactly were you planning to do with that plot.

The photo seems to be like an elm seedling but I can't be sure. I'm never good at identifying seedlings. Anyone else have an idea?

Ianna

o

Experimental meaning I've thrown in an assortment of seeds. LOL I figure if something other than weeds grow there then great! I could then transfer to a more appropriate place in my garden. Definitely not elm seedlings though...we are pretty much treeless in this area. Any other ideas? Could it be monarda or bee balm?

o

It looks like Brittle-Stem Hemp-Nettle weed, Galeopsis tetrahit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Galeopsis tetrahit

o

certainly not beebalm. Hmmm.. whatever it is, it's likely a weed.

Any idea why it's difficult for plants to grow in that side of the house? Is it in dry shady conditions?

ianna

o

Hi Ianna:

Try Epimedium x versicolor Zone: 5 - 9 or Epimedium x rubrum Zone: 5 - 8, these plants thrive in dry shade.

Cheers,
MG

Here is a link that might be useful: Our website

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here