Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zendudette

Forsynthia bush

clairabelle
10 years ago

Hollah,
Last year I "saved" a little forsynthia bush and this year I've noticed it has many crooked branches. It basically looks like a disaster, even after I pruned and removed the problem branches.

My question is: Would it be wise to cut back in the fall to the ground or higher to encourage new growth?

The bush is currently 2 ft across by 2 ft high.

Comments (2)

• jocelynpei
    10 years ago

Forsythias grow so fast once they establish that you probably don't have to do much right now. As it sends up new growth from the ground level, you can prune out some of the branches that you don't want....just a few at a time. We had a cement truck drive over ours, but 3 years later, it looks pretty good again. If there are lots of reserves in the roots, it can send up a 6 or 8 foot shoot from the soil line in one year. If it's younger, new growth will be smaller.

• bmiceli
    10 years ago

New plants should be given 2 or three years to establish a decent framework, doing light pruning in the spring, after flowering. If it needs renovation, this is best done over two years, pruning in late winter or early spring--never in the fall.

Sponsored