Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

how invasive is ajuga?

marricgardens
17 years ago

I would like to underplant a 'Toba' hawthorn with ajuga. I was wondering just how invasive this one is. Do you think the root system would compete with the hawthorn? Has anyone had any experience growing it? Thanks, Marg

Comments (7)

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

I was given a cute little plant last year (I think it was 2-3 inches across then), and this spring, it was about 6-8 inches across when it came up. If I spread out the runners to the size it would be if it had the freedom to invade, it would be a plant three feet in diameter now. This is one little plant.

It's beautiful and I love it, but I grow everything in containers, so I don't have to worry about invasiveness. This could very easily be a major thug in the ground.

BP

• sunny_megs
    17 years ago

I had it in my garden when I moved into my house. It is a really cute plant, but I did find it took over. I t did not kill anything off, and other plants were able to grow through it, but I ended up digging most of it out to make room for other plants I really wanted. I do still have some and have to prune it back constantly as it spreads.

• Mystery_Gardener
    17 years ago

By its very nature, a groundcover is a spreader and can be invasive. We have very poor soil and I find ajuga does well in those conditions. I agree with Ianna, it won't overpower any decent sized plant but you will probably always have it. ;-)

I have recently seen many new cultivars of this plant in bronze, purple and varigrated forms.

Cheers,
    MG

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the answers everyone. The spot I am going to plant it is in front of the house. There's lots of room so I think I will get it and try. There won't be any other plants under the hawthorn, just the ajuga. Since it's in the middle of the lawn, maybe mowing will keep it down? There are other shrubs further up so if it spreads up there it might look nice. Wish me luck! Marg

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Marg,

Mowing will keep it 'down' but won't stop it from spreading.

My SIL had some in a garden -still does - but it spread to the lawn. In this case it actually solved a problem which they had which was growing lawn in that particular. This area does not have heavy foot traffic and the ajuga (this was the plain green) looks beautiful. They mow it as they do the rest of the lawn, and every year it gets bigger. Really nice and green even in the dry times of summer.

I bought the plain green and the chocolate this year and am trying it for the second time. We have a slope which goes into the ditch and I'm tired of having to mow it all the time. Just planting a small patch to see how it does.

I wouldn't hesitate to plant it under a Hawthorn or trees, maybe even shrubs. It would act as a living mulch. The only issue is it spreading to other areas - maybe use a 6 inch barrier? That might work.

Used to have it in the perennial beds, but took it out.

• sharont
    17 years ago

The ajuga I planted in several gardens some years ago is not here now. It has move into the lawns & frankly I don't mind it. In one garden it moves eastward. Most bees love the blue flowers so it is a beneficial in several ways! I estimate you will have it under your hawthorn for three years. You may have to subdivide to back-fill places where it has vacated!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting