Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

Has anybody else noticed?

marricgardens
14 years ago

Bees. Specifically Bumble Bees and there seems to be a lot of them this year. These days they are walking, not flying. I have to watch where I step in the garden lest I step on one. Is it the cool nights that cause this or is there something else that's causing this? I've also noticed they were out earlier this year than usual. Even my SIL has noticed that. Marg

Comments (13)

• squirelette
    14 years ago

Hi,
    I noticed that there were a lot this year but it may be more that there is a lack of other flyers due to the cold weather, nothing breeding in the pond yet I usually have had rattails by now. The cold weather will have them parked on the ground in a warm sunny spot too. What I have noticed is that the big bumblers seem to be getting bigger, they are going to out grow the sparrows soon lol.

• ninamarie
    14 years ago

Actually, I have noticed, but I don't know why it's happening. Also, we seem to have record numbers of hummingbirds this year. They arrived earlier than usual and there are lots of them fighting over the feeders. Plus, there seem to be many more robins than usual.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Squirelette, I have noticed that there are some huge ones. Maybe that's from all the bumbling around they do. they love my lupins, which are out now.
    Ninamarie, now that you mention it, there are more robins too. I have them nesting everywhere, along with killdeer nests. I was out walkng the dogs in the field today and Rosie even found a ducks nest under one of the spruce! Marg

• squirelette
    14 years ago

I was on a site a while back that suggested that there are so many robins that people are killing them, why ever for? I have had a lot of new birds in my yard this year, both types of waxwings, grosbeaks, not exotic but new to me. I have not seen any hummingbirds but this is the first year I put the feeder out and the plants are not blooming yet for the most part so maybe later. I expect the crappy spring is sending them looking for food in cultured areas that they are not finding in the wild yet. I am enjoying it.

• yugoslava
    14 years ago

I always notice bumble bees. Since there's not as many bees in the city I am very happy to see bumblebees They were in my garden in early April in the east end of Toronto. A lot of robins but no hummingbirds. We have seen a lot of other unfamiliar birds. Why would anyone think it is alright to kill robins? There are still people who think humans come before everyone else. How sad! I shouldn't forget squirrels. We have em and don't mind. Love them all!

• lilyfreak
    14 years ago

I was working in the garden yesterday and also noticed how many bumble bees there are. They were hiding under the leaves of my daisies, which I was in the process of thinning out so got quite the shock. Really big ones, too!

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've also noticed that there are a lot of smashed robin's eggs around. I did find a few that were intact. Do you think another bird was trying to take over the robins nest by getting rid of the eggs? There are a few blue jays around this year. Aren't they theives? Marg

• squirelette
    14 years ago

It seems like this is going to be a very interesting year for wildlife. Maybe the different weather this year has the breeding/survival urges in overdrive. I found a number of eggs and baby birds around my yard this year, mostly in my pond.It seems like all the birds have lots of babies this year, more than usual. I think that with a likely hot dry summer coming probably followed by a cold miserable weather they must be stacking the deck. Blue Jays and Magpies are terrible for raiding nests, and even sparrows will attack a nest too close. I do not mind squirrels but they can be destructive, they are ripping the neighbors shed apart. They also tease my dogs unmercifully which annoys the neighbors because of the barking.

• origami_master
    14 years ago

I've seen some bees, but I've never really noticed bees at this time of year in past years. I've heard that there's some sort of disease ruining their nests. Whatever is happening, I'm hoping the bees will stay because more bees = more fruits/seeds (more pollination). From what I've been told, worms will rapidly produce eggs when they feel that their lives are threatened as to keep their 'lineage' going. Praying and hoping the weather won't be too out of the ordinary. I've seed lots of birds this year...and am having regular visits from bunnies (at first they ate my tulips but now they leave even my seedlings alone and go for the weeds in the lawn instead). I have noticed lots of winged insects (flies, bees, wasps) that are flying. I saw a wasp on my iris, and wanted to sho it away so I could cut the iris, but it didn't move. It sort of eventually rolled off the flower onto the ground. Yes lots of bird eggs all over the place...I see lots of them crushed. I have an unknown white egg sitting next to my pumpkin plants but haven't touched it.

• ianna
    14 years ago

Well I always see them around my yard but no more than usual in numbers. They look so cute like little fat shi tzus.

I have seen less mosquitos though and for me that;s great.

• sharont
    14 years ago

I've also noticed more Bumble Bees on the ground this year. Stood still to observe if there was a ground nest near to where I was standing. It came closer so I backed up, it hovered closer then walked under clover leaves as if searching for 'something'. Our 'dance' contined for a couple more minutes until I realized I had other things to do. Because of their loud buzz i have watched two other Bumbles do the same thing in other parts of my garden. They are walking and flying indeed!
    I need to get a life other than hovering in my gardens all day! But why is it they walk around under grass and weeds?

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yesterday when I was working in the garden I noticed a Bumble Bee on the columbine. I just stood there and watched and then realized that I hadn't been seeing as many of them as in the past month. I have tried to make my garden bee and butterfly friendly. I wanted hummingbirds but the most we ever get is one. Then there's the hummingbird moth, we do get lots of them! Marg

• ninamarie
    14 years ago

Swallowtail butterflies just arrived the other day. Hummingbirds still going on strong - unprecedented numbers. We always have a lot here because of our extensive gardens, but this year, they have come out in huge numbers.
    And chipmunks! The bold little rascals. Apparently they have no fear of us whatsoever. We have given over one garden to the dog, who frantically, and apparently, always unsuccessfully chases the chipmunks through it.
    On the minus side, though, a porcupine just ate out our truck's wiring. Again.
    Nasty, expensive beasties.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville