Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jannabeen

dogwood do the leaves turn yellow?

jannabeen
17 years ago

I moved a young cornus alba "elegantissima" early in the spring to what I thought would be a happier location: one where it would get morning sun rather than the blazing afternoon sun it had before. It seemed to settle in nicely. However, lately its leaves turn yellow, the edges turn brown, and they eventually fall off. Since it's near the front entrance to the house its scraggly appearance really bothers me. I've tried to make sure it gets plenty of water. None of the other shrubs near itÂrhodos and hydrangeaÂare suffering, so I'm wondering what's up or if it's just in the nature of this shrub.

Comments (6)

• ianna
    17 years ago

Was it well established before transplanting? The brown edging of the leaves indicate that it's receiving inadequate water which is most likely caused by root damage. In other words, transplant shock. Keep it well watered (but not overwatered) throughout the rest of the season. Do not fertilize at all which can cause more damage. It should be fully recovered by next season.

Ianna

• luv2garden_roses
    16 years ago

I noticed your posting was dated Jun 19th. What is the condition of the dogwood now? I, too, have a pink dogwood that has wilted, yellow leaves. It seems like it happened overnight. Will the tree recover? It was a new planting this fall; there is another dogwood in the same location that is doing fine.

• ianna
    16 years ago

Dear Luv,

Your situation is rather different from Jannabeen's situation. Janna's tree was likely suffering from transplant shock. Your tree was already established when it suddenly displayed these symptoms. If the tree was planted in an ideal location, if it was well watered, suffered no injuries from lawnmowering nor from fertilizing (root burns) - then you'd have to investigate whether the cause could be fungal or a pest. Flowering dogwoods are particularly susceptible to a hosts of diseases and pests and any of these things could kill your tree. Here's a link to an informative website. It provides both description of the diseases, symptoms and treatment. Having said all these, I am not experienced with dogwoods but I am considering adding a pagoda dogwood to my backyard landscaping. Good luck on your tree.

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1010.htm

Ianna

• jannabeen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The dogwood recovered--it looked pretty awful for a while. Here's a picture of it now:

{{gwi:532443}}

It does need a lot of water, and its leaves get scorched easily.

• louise corcoran
    7 years ago

I have just been given a cornus alba elegantissima as a house warming gift, new garden/new gardener! Planted it in a sunny sheltered spot with a clay soil and watered it in well, my partner gave the front garden a water a week later with a diluted plant food (phostrogen) that was 2 days ago and it is now majorly wilting. In fact a few of the garden plants seem to be wilting but I put it own to me over watering them (iris, sedum, calla all a little on the droopy side) which I haven't done with the shrubs. How can I recover the dogwood? I now realise my mistake with the other plants as I read iris and sedum don't like to much watering....many thanks!

• ianna
    7 years ago

These plants are hard to kill off. Just leave them be but do give them a hardpruning every now and then.