Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sammyqc

Found Brugs!! Yes!!!

sammyqc
17 years ago

Just happened to go to my local Loblaws garden center - at least that's my story and i'll stick to it - and I found a fantastic deal. Very healthy, tall bushy plants, for 2.99. When the cashier told me the price, I had to go grab a couple more, and was chatting with another gardener, who had seen them in Florida, and was interested. I think I got another one hooked. There were only six plants all together, so I greedily grabbed 4, and she took the other two. These are labeled 'Rose' so I can't wait to see them flower!!!!

Comments (7)

• janetr
    17 years ago

This forum positively ABOUNDS in bad influences. If I can keep myself away for a couple of days, I should be safe!

• jroot
    17 years ago

Great coup, Sammyqc. You will love them, and hopefully they will grace you with flowers this year. Did you see on ebay recently a 1 foot cutting sold for $265 US for a "nothing special" variety? I say you got a great deal.

• swisscanada
    17 years ago

Hi Sammyqc

Not long ago I went to Loblaws in your area and I was not that lucky to find a "brug",I asked about them and they told me, they don't sell them anymore ..... but a very nice person from Graden forum has sent me a peach, rose, with and cream Brug and hopefully I will be successful with them. A couple are doing real good, especially the rose and cream. Good luck.

• sammyqc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just a little update on these four babies. Two of them I planted in the ground, and have yet to flower. Two I potted up and one is white (go figure) and the other one is indeed pink. Looks very much like my Frosty Pink, in fact. They were all labeled 'Rose', which from my searches, I can't seem to find, so I figure wherever these came from, they just popped on the label by color. Anyway, they are gorgeous and so fragrant, even the white smells differently than another white that I already had. So far, my flowering brugs are just wonderful but the ones in pots seem to do much better than the ones planted out. Maybe they get a better dose of fertilizer in the pots. Ah, well, I really don't know where I'm going to put all these brugs come cold weather!

• wendy2shoes
    17 years ago

"I really don't know where I'm going to put all these brugs come cold weather!" That's easy..you can send them all to us!!!

• glen3a
    17 years ago

Hey, you guys seem to be the people to ask.

I saw some "unknown" yellow brugs at Rona this spring. A small pot for $9. A few weeks later they had a few left, but put them half price on clearance. I figured that was a sign for me to try them out.

So, is it possible that the brug won't bloom this summer? It's grown quite a bit, from a small cutting to a foot tall bushy plant, but no blooms. Some of the leaves seem a bit lighter in color, so I take it they are heavy feeders and need very rich soil or frequent fertilizer?

How do I overwinter it? Just the brightest windowsill I have? If I bring it indoors, will trimming it back harm the plant (just in case it's too big to sit on the windowsill.)

Just debating the pros and cons of overwintering them.

Once they start blooming, do they bloom off and on all summer?

Please forgive my questions, but I'm obviously new to the world of brugs.

Regards
    Glen

• sammyqc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Glen. Welcome to the wonderful and addictive world of brugs.
    First, before the brug will flower, it has to 'Y', which means, it kind of branches out and litterally forms the Y. Thats where it will flower from. It might not flower for you this year, if was a very young cutting, but they are usually very fast growers. Some of mine that I did this spring are about 4 feet now (from 6 inch cuttings) but have not Yed so no flowers yet. But if we have a nice warm fall, I'm hoping they will. The best blooming time is closer to the end of summer, I find that's when I get the heaviest flushes but some of my older brugs have been flowering since about mid June. But I am one of those fanatics that put them out as soon as possible to get the sun, and bring them in at night when the temperatures warrant.
    They don't tolerate frost very well.
    Also, for overwintering, some people let them go dormant in a cool basement, or a heated garage. I don't have that option, so they stay in my dining room, where they go semi dormant. Aphids are one of the biggest problems when you overwinter, so if possibe, I would strip all the leaves, cut it back, and do the basement/garage thing.
    As for feeding, they are very greedy. I fertilize about once or twice a week. Really good rich soil if you plant them in the ground, and they need a lot of water too. I water the potted ones sometimes three times a day when it's really hot. And the bigger the pot, the bigger the brug. It gets to be a pain sometimes, lugging all these huge pots in and out, but it's worth it for the flowers. My oldest brug (4 years) has been moved up to what i believe is a 42 inch pot, and that is the max that I can move. But it is also about 6 feet tall and loaded with buds right now. And I trim it back to bring it in during the winter. Just make sure when you trim it back, to cut above the Y. Also, if you trim it, it is really easy to root the cuttings. Just stick it a glass of water, and they should root up. If the cuttings have these little white nubbies (real scientific term) that is where the roots will come from.
    Anyway, there is a brug forum here, check it out for more info, lots of good people.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm