Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sliding mulch

Posted by teabag43 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 08 at 17:27

I have perennial beds that are mounded. Each year all of the large wood chips are found in piles along the edges as they are washed down the hills with every rain and snow over the winter. This is a real pain. I don't want to put stones in but I am beginning to think that this is the only mulch that will stay in place. I read that the shredded mulch might hold better. Is that true. We didn't put in the mounded beds as they were already there when we purchased this house and they are quite beautiful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sliding mulch

• Posted by kanuk Zone4 QC (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 3, 08 at 7:32

If you have the room could you add on a strip of new planting area to the existing mounded bed. By that I mean butt a strip starting at the same grade of the existing bed but grade the new addition with a more gentle slope to correct the steep edge that is causing you your problem. If you're like me you'll be happy to have more planting area and it will be full in no time.
The width of this new corrective band will depend on how much room you can afford or want to add on. Depending on space you don't have to use a band you could add on an entire new bed etc.
Just an idea.
All the best & happy gardening.

o

I too had the same problem with the large nugget bark mulch, and found that using the shredded mulch underneath with the bark on top worked much better - the shredded mulch held things in place and did not wash out.

o

Hello there, Kanuk's options are a far better solution. I had used shredded mulch and also some heavier mulches before - to no avail. Any deluge of rain will simply wash away the mulch. (I didn't know shredded mulch could float) Your bed probably requires a correction in it's grading, possibly it's time to create mini-tiers to control the speed of how the water flowed out.

In my yard since the deluge was so strong, I ended up mulching with small stones and adding plants such as siberian irises and creepers to break up the flow.

o

• Posted by kanuk Zone4 QC (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 4, 08 at 7:39

Now you can go shopping for more plants & blame me!! lol
Let us know how it turns out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here