Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of Lilac is this?

Posted by Dena_ab none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 17:35

Hi all, and thanks for your time.
We just bought a house and there are 3 of these lilac bushes in the yard. The bushes are about 10 feet tall and almost as wide They are very overgrown and not in great shape. I am hoping to find the specific type of lilac they are so I can read up on how to prune, care for them. thanks for your help
Dena

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of Lilac is this?

Dena,It's hard to identify what kind of lilac as there are so many cultivars with similar looking flower colours. One of the largest collections of lilacs is managed by the University of Guelph here in Ontario. Perhaps you can make your inquiries directly with their staff.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lilac arboretum in Guleph,

o

Thanks ianna :)

o

Judging by its leaves, it looks like Preston lilac. I have a white-flowering Preston lilac and just love it:
 photo DSC04934_zps44363c90.jpg

photo DSC04932_zps4e5936ba.jpg

o

It's possible you have the Preston lilac 'Nocturne'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Preston lilac 'Nocturne'

o

It looks like it could be Syringa pubescens, syn. S. microphylla, common name Lilac 'Sperba'.

Here is a link that might be useful: RHS

o

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my question, very helpful :). thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here