Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alicia6766

Fast vining for full sun chain link fence

alicia6766
15 years ago

Hi,

I am new to this forum but I have a south facing chain link fence that I would like to put a vining plant on. I would like to get privacy asap if possible. Do you have any suggestions for me?

Comments (13)

• cookie8
    15 years ago

I did Heavenly Blue Morning Glory on mine - it's supposed to grow quickly and very full.

• dannie
    15 years ago

You might want to try Wild Cucumber (Echinoeysis lobata). I have some growing over a couple of arbours. They grow quickly and fill out nicely. There is an added bonus where they reseed themselves yearly so all you have to do is pull the old dried vines off in the winter. The plants that reseed where you don't want them to be are easy to pull out.

• greenstar
    15 years ago

It depends if you want an annual or perennial vine. For full sun i'd go with perennial vines like various clematis, hops, honeysuckle. But, even if planting perennial vines, throw some annuals in the ground in the meantime until the others are established. Definitely add scarlet runner beans. Purchase a pack for $2 and plant them every 2 feet...totally reliable and the nice flowers will also yield edible beans by summer's end.

http://communities.canada.com/calgaryherald/blogs/gardenbuzz/default.aspx

• ianna
    15 years ago

Be careful. fast growing perennials often means it's also aggressive. I'd say (like greenstar), plant a fast growing annual now along with a vine that isn't aggressive. That way, you have the privacy you need until you have more permanent vine to take over. I rather like the climbing hydrangea which looks almost tree like with it's peeling bark. However, i don't know if if will survive your zone.

Apart of morning glory, there are ornamental gourds vines that you could consider.

One other thing which is just my opinion. Chain link fence don't look nice and I just don't think adding a vine will effectively cover the chains. I would suggest adding a screen of say square latticework. That way the vines will grow up on these trellises and bring some great scenery to your yard.

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

Scarlet runner beans for sure

{{gwi:532661}}

In the background, I have honeysuckle and trumpet vine

• alicia6766
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for the replies. I know it has been a LONG time since i have posted. I planted some clematis and since we live backing on to a school ground every time they would start the kids would pick them apart. They had no luck to get going and I still do not have any coverage on my chain link fence.

I like the idea of the square latticework and the scarlet runner beans seem like a great idea. As well as the climbing hydrangea. I wonder if they would thrive in my zone?

I am also not sure how the latticework would attach to my chain link and look attractive?

• ianna
    13 years ago

well, it's been a while since then. I believe I had suggested a kind of trellis that doesn't attach itself to the chain link fence. How about you investigate ideas of such screens by window shopping at Ho me Depot, Lowes or Rona.

• ontnative
    13 years ago

When I lived in a yard with a chain link fence, we grew perennial sweet pea vines (Lathyrus latifolius). They are reliable, fast growing and only die if sprayed with weedkiller. Climbing hydrangea is woody, and much slower growing. It would take several years to grow up a fence.

• subrosa
    13 years ago

You can purchased vinyl slats that slide into a chain link fence. They come in different colors. Google "chain link slats" for ideas. Here is one website that shows different applications:
    http://www.boundary-fences.com/chainlink_slats.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: chain link slats

• sheryl_ontario
    13 years ago

I read somewhere that the fastest growing perennial vine is the Dutchman's Pipe. It will, apparently, cover a screen in the first year. The flowers smell awful though.

You could weave just about any kind of stripping that you liked through the fence, angled, corner to corner. I would go with something natural looking. I think there are a lot of choices out there that look like wood or bamboo. It would give you time to get some vines growing on it too for added privacy. You could use the stuff lawn chairs use to be woven with.

We used to live beside a chain link walk-through. I lined it with little wild lilacs my first summer there about 1.5' apart. By the time we moved 14 years later, we had all the privacy we needed. I trimmed them back a lot on our side to give us space. The flowers were Heavenly!

I have also rooted a couple of large weeping willow branches in front of a chainlink fence and wove the branches through the fence as it grew. After a few years the trunk will pull the fence out of the ground, so that's not really a good option for a fence that's permanent.

You could weave cut willow branches through it, however. That might look quite good.

I have used Virginia creeper too but it takes a couple of years to start taking off.

• swontgirl_z5a
    13 years ago

Hi,
    I have a variegated Amphelopsis (Porcelain berry) on a chain link fence in my back yard. It grow sideways fine. It doesn't get too large but covers the fence every year. It kind of dies back in the winter leaving woody stems but gets going again in the spring. It has really pretty variegated leaves and cool blue berries in the fall. You would have to check on hardiness in your zone.

• ianna
    13 years ago

I would be careful about porcelain vines. They look great but they are considered invasive because they spread far and wide due to their berries. Whereever the berries fall, they will sprout new plants. Birds eat the berries and spread their seeds through their waste.

Since this is a chain link fence, may I recommend simply planting a row of shrubs against it. Loblaws for example has offered cheap options for evergreen shrubs ranging from yews to cedars to boxwoods. Interplant them with shrub roses (or anything prickly like barberries) and that will take care of the problem of children vandalizing your plants. (it would stop them).

• glen3a
    13 years ago

Alicia, if you are zone 3 forget about porcelain vine unless you are okay with not having berries some years. It will grow here but dies back to the ground over winter. Also, the berries don't seem to ripen until late September or October, sort of late to be enjoyed. Mine grew fairly decent but due to winter damage in our zone it didn't seem that vigorous to completely fill the trellis.

If you want green leaves (no flowers) engelmann ivy is an option. Hops apparently dies back to the ground over winter but quickly recovers in spring to recover the area. It's pretty agressive, from what I understand. Honeysuckle vine might be an option though mine tends to get aphid attacks (though mine is in a dry spot next to the house).

No matter what you choose, you likely will have to fill in with an annual vine for the first couple of years until the perennial vine gets established. Things like morning glory, or easier yet, buy a pack of vining bean seeds (scarlet runner beans or hyacinth bean.) The first one produces edible beans and generally beans are quick growing and carefree. You can plant your perennial vines but fill in with the annual ones at least until the perennial ones are able to cover more area (future years).

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!