Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Lady Slippers

Posted by suzyq6203 Manitoba, CA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 17, 06 at 21:14

If anyone learns of any person from the southern manitoba area that is selling pink lady slippers, please let me know. We have a very limited wild pink lady slipper population... and someone has been digging them up. Between June 13th and June 15th I found 17 spots within a 1000 sq meter area that had been dug. This would indicate to me that someone is planning on selling them. The wild lady slippers are protected by our provincial environment department... and we would like to catch the person(s) doing this to our rare treasure. Your help is greatly appreciated. Please email me at nlmac@goinet.ca. Thank you so much.
Norma MacMillan
Arden, MB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Lady Slippers

Norma, you might want to start this same thread over on the Far North Gardening forum as well. There are lots of people that read and post over there that are from Manitoba.

Good luck catching whoever is doing this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Far North Gardening

o

Norma,

Could be someone who's filling their garden as well.

Here in Nova Scotia, they are on the endangered list and it is unlawful to pick the plant or the flower. We have them growing in a small meadow, both the pinks and the whites (which are even more rare). We've had folks ask if they could have some for their gardens, in which case I educated them in regards to the fact that it takes seven year for this plant to flower after the seed germinates, and once the flower is picked, the plant will never bloom again.

We have 14 prescious 'Ladies' as we call them. They are real treasures!

o

Thank you so much hunnerbun and tiffy for the information and direction. Still on the hunt for the culprit(s), but I have managed to enlist the help of our municipality and our local newspaper. And I have managed to get a few neighbors on the lookout as well.
Happy gardening.

o

we have had holes dug around in the ditch where there had been yellow and pink lady slippers growing. The road crews usually cut the grass along the ditch and cut down the lady slippers too. I found a pink lady slipper cut in half from the swather and I dug it up and planted it in my flower bed. It bloomed the next year too. I hate to dig them up, but thought of it a 'rescue' instead. right now the lady slippers are still blooming and the red lilies are in full bloom too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here