Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zoeniki_gw

Huge black nursery pots

zoeniki
13 years ago

Hi folks. I live in Nova Scotia and am looking for 10 large black nursery pots to transplant some hostas to my new house. I need pots that are at least 16" inside diameter, preferably 20". If anyone knows where I might be able to buy some, could they please let me know. I did find a site in the states but they wanted 60 dollars to ship them to Canads :(

Thanks for your help.

David

Comments (13)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Do you have a recycle depot near you, it's amazing what you can find and everything is very reasonably priced.

• ianna
    13 years ago

David,

Check out garden centres recycling areas. I got several large plastic pots from a landscaper who was planting a row of emerald cedars - all for free.

• sheryl_ontario
    13 years ago

Cemetaries are a good place to look. They throw them out all the time. Just ask the care taker.

I moved plants once in boxes lined with garbage bags. Worked great.

• sheryl_ontario
    13 years ago

You can find a lot of large tupperware type containers, big metal cans, plastic garbage pails, etc at garage sales right now too. Probably for around .50 ea if you haggle.

• sharont
    13 years ago

Any Loblaw's related Grocery Store's Garden centre receives pots of all sizes from anyone for recycling. As well, the pots from their own products (shrubs & trees) that fail on site are sometimes available on their racks.

• ianna
    13 years ago

I'm not sure Loblaws is in Nova Scotia -- however i note that the local loblaws here has a program of giving a $5 discount for purchases of $50 plants if you were to return 25 used containers. So since they have this program in place, those pots are not free anymore.

• dianasan
    13 years ago

Great suggestions.

When we moved and ran out of larger pots, we used empty soil bags as containers. They're quite large and very strong and do not take up a lot of room. We just punched out some holes at the bottom for drainage.

• ianna
    13 years ago

dianasan, I've seen those bags used for planters so great suggestions.

another thought -- just go to the dollar store and grab some of those pails or trash cans.

• dianasan
    13 years ago

Yes, thank goodness for those dollar stores.

I got some nets for my cherry trees there the other day. It cost me $3 to cover both trees. I was checking out prices for netting at the greenhouse last week and calculated at least $30 per tree.

• ianna
    13 years ago

Oh yes. I get many things from dollar stores and not just of the things intended purpose.

• winnjoe
    13 years ago

Hi David
    When I was looking for those in the Halifax area I ended up at Atlantic Gardens in Sackville. That seems to be their biggest depot. I had to pay for them but it wasn't unreasonable (a few years ago).

Here is a link that might be useful: Atlantic Gardens Sackville

• bonniepunch
    13 years ago

I managed to find almost all the large black pots I wanted by asking businesses that were putting in cedar trees if I could have the empty pots (Cedar trees come in fairly large and heavy pots much of the time). Many restaurants that have an outdoor dining area will do some sort of landscaping - if they're putting in big plants, that means big pots. Lawn/landscaping maintenance companies often have large pots in the back of their trucks, or know of places you can get them. City gardening trucks are worth asking too.

I framed my request politely and carefully - I wanted them to want to give me the empty pots and be happy to do it. I was interested in keeping things out of the trash... Recycling/reusing the big pots was much better... I would come get them... Please call me when they're evailable...

BP

• indygo
    13 years ago

Hi,
    I'm in NS as well. I'm not sure about the big pots, but a lot of the bakery departments in supermarkets will give you buckets for free if you ask for them.

Sponsored