Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hamiltonblooms

rooting clematis

hamiltonblooms
12 years ago

Hi,

Does anyone know if you can root clematis? A few pieces have broken off.

Thank you, Hamiltonblooms

Comments (18)

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

well nothing ventured, nothing gained......right? :)
    if you don't want to stick them in the soil in the garden, then pot some soil and put them in. Keep them in the shade and keep them moist, but not wet.
    hope they do well for you. :)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

I've even rooted them in water :).

Annette

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

really, Annette? wow I am glad to know it is that easy. :)
    Now if I could just find someone with a nice large flowered white/light one. :)

• hamiltonblooms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you ..... will try

12 years ago

Greylady, the first time I rooted in water was unintentional, I broke a piece of one of my clemies when tying it up. I put it in a coke can filled it with water and promptly forgot about it, a couple of months later when cleaning out the greenhouse I found the roots had filled the coke can. The next time I tried rooting in water was a cutting of Omoshiro for someone looking for but couldn't find this variety. It took awhile, this time on the kitchen windowsill :).

Annette

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

Annette, I hope you were able to get the roots out of the can without damage. :) I am just starting to try and get a few different clematis around the yard, so it is good to know that it seems so easy. I have two large flowered ones, both in the purple colour so am looking to find someone close by with a large flowered white/light one. At least now I might be able to convince them to take a cutting for me since I can tell them that I know it works. :)
    Never heard of Omoshiro--very impressive!
    thanks again for your info.

12 years ago

Greylady, the first time round it was a piece of montana wilsonii, I managed to pull the roots out of the small tab hole without too much damage. I potted it up and gave it away.
    For a really nice white see if you can find 'Marie Boisselot' (Madame Le Coultre) I used to have this one in the 80's, beautiful BIG white flowers and it's a rebloomer.

Annette

• ianna
    12 years ago

I once how a plant supplier mass produced clematis. they rooted clematis in sand and misted it often. One thing about sand is that it discouraged fungus.

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

wow, Annette, that Marie Boisselot is beautiful! I keep looking up clematis and spending a LOT of time looking at the pics and reading about them. :) could be doing worse things! LOL

• diane_v_44
    12 years ago

that is interesting that one might root clematis from cuttings

will try this is to good to be true
    I expect if they take root the plant would come true, so that is a real bonus
    Maybe about three years ago, I was visiting an old abandoned almost, grave site, in the fall

There was this huge gorgeous climbing hydrangea and ever so fragrant.

I don't even remember where it was any longer
    At an rate I took maybe three small cuttings form the plant. Not really thinking they would grow but as you say, what have you got to lose

Well only one cutting did take and it is now a small plant. Looking quite good this year this is the second full year. Maybe it will even bloom this fall. I am hoping so.

• ianna
    12 years ago

they do say climbing hydrangeas bloom in the third year so I think it would do well.

Just curious -- are there different forms of climbing hydrangea? I thought there was only one kind. I have one which travelled with me from my previous garden. It's doing well. Although it's blooms are not spectacular.

ianna

• diane_v_44
    12 years ago

I don't know the answer to that one, Ianna

Have not looked it up
    This though is very white, large flower and most fragrant
    Was just looking up the Blue Poppies in Quebec
    Thinking to take a drive that way maybe this weekend Have always wanted to see them in bloom

• cziga
    12 years ago

AfterMidnight -- you actually rooted the Clematis Omoshiro for me, and I have been meaning to send you a photo of it this summer ... it is still small and I have been pinching it back periodically to promote more basal growth this summer ... but it is doing really well and next year will be really nice!! I might let 1 flower bloom this year just to see it though :)

But I wanted to say thank you again, its doing really well and next summer I'll have some really good photos to post I'm sure!

I'd actually like to try rooting a clematis.

12 years ago

Cziga,

Glad to hear the clemie is doing well for you. The mother vine is still quite spindly, so I think I'll do a couple of cuttings for myself :).

Annette

• wmc1
    12 years ago

Nice big white one would be Gillian Blades, most clematis are easy to start from cuttings, do it quite often when I need another of that kind. Put one node in soil scraped with a bit of rooting hormone and one or two leaves on the other.

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

wow, Gillian Blades is a real beauty! Maybe next year I will have something at the swap that you would like and I just may be able to get you to start one for me, Bill!! :)

• diane_v_44
    12 years ago

Interesting to read this

I had recently listened to a radio garden program about just this topic
    and have myself been snipping bits of clematis and put them into water to see what happens.
    As someone said, nothing to lose.

THey, clematis , really do well for me, in the garden.

• luckynes13
    12 years ago

I have been busy all week taking cuttings of various plants.
    Red Smoke tree, crabapple and forsynthia. Mainly because I am interested a Bonsai. But I now think I should do some clematis cuttings too.
    With the never know unless you try theory.