Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identify tree

Posted by Chad81 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 22:23

Can some please help me identify the tree (and I am in Toronto)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identify tree

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 8:33

Looks like a Manitoba Maple. Did you plant it?

o

Regardless of what kind of tree, this is a kind of weed tree down here in Toronto. Gets established everywhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: weed trees of Ontario

o

Acer negundo, a weed tree that is appreciated in the west and a few other countries. Here in Ontario it is a nuisance if allowed to grow and flower producing seeds that germinate too easily. Please don't allow it to do that!!
I speak of it distastefully because on our country property there were a few planted by the farmers who lived here before 1974. Now we have so many Manitoba Maples all around us and have spread up and down the concession road. The seeds land in car windows spaces, trailers, truck beds. Innocently we have been giving them a free ride to new territory!! Yuk.

o

Manitoba maple. It is considered a “junk tree” in GTA and last year I noticed, in the York Regional Forest, these trees were deliberately sprayed by herbicide in order to kill them and stop them from spreading in the forest. Kill it while you still can and plant something more useful and beautiful in its place.

o

Chad81's tree is certainly in the wrong place, but there's certainly nothing wrong with A. Negundo, which is, in fact, native to southwestern Ontario. It certainly is appreciated in northern/cold climate areas, where it is often the only hardy maple. The large tree shown in the picture here is a Manitoba maple in front of my house here in Peace River, AB.

o

Correction: trees. Here's another view.

o

Manitoba Maple in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta...fantastic.

Manitoba Maple in southern Ontario...invasive, very fast growing, weak wooded, rot prone, short lived, and ugly (especially when covered in brown maple seeds). Somewhat dangerous too...neighbour had a big one fall last night at 1AM. The crack-crack-crack had the entire neighbourhood thinking someone set off more late night fireworks.

o

Well, yes, they certainly do grow out here - like weeds - seeds sprouting EVERYWHERE and if you don`t pull them or mow them down right away they really take hold. There are new varieties out that are seedless(Sensation)but unfortunately I`m not surrounded by those!!!!! There are so many other, lovelier trees out there I would not sacrifice the space for a Manitoba Maple.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here