Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whoo Hoo! finally!

Posted by eliza_ann_ca zone 6 ont ca (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 3, 06 at 22:30

I planted a New Dawn rose 5 years ago,and have not seen one bloom on the darn thing yet.

For some reason,this year it finally too off and not only is it covering the trellis,but it has several buds.

I was seriously thinking of tossing it last year,but thought I'd give it one more chance.Sure glad that I did.
Can't wait to see the first bloom!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whoo Hoo! finally!

I am having the same FINALLY! with my Constance Spry in it's 6th or 7th year. It is tall enough that the rabbit(s) can't ruin it, and I have my fingers crossed that the squirrels aren't attracted ... as they have been to all the clematis. Isn't this fun???

Brodie

o
RE: Whoo Hoo! finally!

Good morning. I don't mean to be a downer but I thought I'd tell my experience with ND. I had a ND climbing on an arbor. It took right off. It looked beautiful but only lasted 3 years. Then I noticed it was sending out suckers with 7 or 8 leaves. In other words the root stock was taking over. I thought it grew on its own root. I called a nursery and asked them what to do and they told me to cut out any more suckers. I tried this but the suckers came on so fast, they just took over. I ended up having to dig it out and toss it. Just keep an eye out for any suckers. Marg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here